Early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
How to get player to understand that when you tell them start earlier, doesn't mean to start earlier and then to change their tempo, but that their tempo stays the same?

Sep 17, 2009
Good question. It's about what they are DOING *while* they start earlier, right? Hitter should be creating a slow, early continual load/stretch from which they can launch on-demand. Too often hitters start 'early' just so they can shift forward/fall to their front foot *sooner* which accomplishes nothing.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
How to get player to understand that when you tell them start earlier, doesn't mean to start earlier and then to change their tempo, but that their tempo stays the same?
Great question.

1. Do they understand the tempo they are looking for?
  2. In order to maintain the desired tempo, they will need to start the stride foot to begin the load at a certain point in the pitcher's wind up. This point should most likely change from pitcher to pitcher.
  3. Stride foot should be moving forward at the pitcher's release point.
The work in the on-deck circle may go a long way in helping them to understand what they are looking for.

Edit: At 2:30 of this video in a good picture of the work in the on-deck circle.

Oct 2, 2017
Good question. It's about what they are DOING *while* they start earlier, right? Hitter should be creating a slow, early continual load/stretch from which they can launch on-demand. Too often hitters start 'early' just so they can shift forward/fall to their front foot *sooner* which accomplishes nothing.

Not sure I follow the statement in bold. What do you mean by what they are doing?

Your changing start time, so that they can launch the swing earlier because they are sitting fast ball adjusting off speed. Right? What good would it do to start earlier if they are going to change their own tempo? I've always understood a batters tempo is their tempo. It never changes. That tempo is dictated by how the batter starts and flows through their sequence. IOW start earlier to get to launch position earlier.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think you had the right idea about getting ‘down’ when moving out for a kid that has too much ‘forward’. For a kid that doesn’t get forward enough maybe you could use a cue like ‘take your nose to the ball‘. Also does something for their balance. That generally works to get them a bit more forward.

Of course I’m guessing your asking about ‘early’ bc the front foot isn’t getting down early enough at a good balanced hitting position on time? Another thing that could be hindering the forward move is contact point.

Jun 8, 2016
Good question. An innate awareness (ie. unconscious "feel" for it) of what their swing tempo should be is probably a necessity.

Oct 2, 2017
I think you had the right idea about getting ‘down’ when moving out for a kid that has too much ‘forward’. For a kid that doesn’t get forward enough maybe you could use a cue like ‘take your nose to the ball‘. Also does something for their balance. That generally works to get them a bit more forward.

Of course I’m guessing your asking about ‘early’ bc the front foot isn’t getting down early enough at a good balanced hitting position on time? Another thing that could be hindering the forward move is contact point.
I was asking because my DD over the weekend faced a pitcher who she was concistently late. So I said start earlier in the pitchers wind up, she started earlier but instead of keeping her normal tempo she slowed her tempo down as well. Which put her in the same situation if that makes sense.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I was asking because my DD over the weekend faced a pitcher who she was concistently late. So I said start earlier in the pitchers wind up, she started earlier but instead of keeping her normal tempo she slowed her tempo down as well. Which put her in the same situation if that makes sense.

I have used a different method.I would tell my team about going oppo on a slower pitcher. And trying to pull a faster pitcher. Just trying to put them on time. I wouldn’t care where the ball goes, I’m just looking for better timing. It’s old school but it works.

I wouldn’t change a players personal rhythm unless they’re rushing.

Oct 2, 2017
I have used a different method.I would tell my team about going oppo on a slower pitcher. And trying to pull a faster pitcher. Just trying to put them on time. I wouldn’t care where the ball goes, I’m just looking for better timing. It’s old school but it works.

I wouldn’t change a players personal rhythm unless they’re rushing.

Thanks, that's a different approach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles