Early hot stove topic: pitching space constraints.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
For those with experience practicing in and dealing with limited space...

Hitters do it, but what about pitchers getting their sessions in a 2-car garage for example.

What are your thoughts on practicing indoors at shorter than regulation distance for a significant percentage of your winter practicing? Example: Once per week in a gym plus thrice per week in a small garage?

I would think that regulation distance is pretty important for pitching practice. Does anyone debate this? Disclaimer...I secretly want a 50' long garage, but that's another story.

VW

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have become a huge fan of DD throwing 5’ into a something, She gets too worried about results then what she is doing mechanically. Her just throwing without a result has helped her tremendously.

Aug 19, 2011
We hung a piece of carpet from a joist in the basement and dd pitches into that. We'd love to have a bigger space to work out in and we're always on the lookout for it. That said, Quincy has a point -- lots of advice I've read on increasing speed involves pitching into a rug like this, concentrating on form and speed without having to worry about where the ball goes. Hoping for that kind of result this winter.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Got a longer hallway?? Have her pitch with some bright colored rolled up sox if the height of the hallway allows it.

Take all the pictures down, etc, anything that might get broken.

Hal

Oct 22, 2009
I like wall drills and close fence drills, I think if weather and space limits you, doing close work as often as you can is still good.
Make sure you also do dry speed pitching. You don't have to throw anything, just pitch hard without the ball.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Hitters do it, but what about pitchers getting their sessions in a 2-car garage for example.

What are your thoughts on practicing indoors at shorter than regulation distance for a significant percentage of your winter practicing? Example: Once per week in a gym plus thrice per week in a small garage?

I would think that regulation distance is pretty important for pitching practice. Does anyone debate this? Disclaimer...I secretly want a 50' long garage, but that's another story.

VW

Velocity enhancement programs, plyometric, or assistive/resistive leg strengthening programs, etc. can be performed in relatively small areas. I've used hallways in a house (with a pop-up net & pitching carpet) ... garage space (again with a pop-up net & pitching carpet) ... or a host of relatively small areas ... then combine this with renting some indoor gym time to throw at normal distances. No reason not to come out of the winter improved in one fashion or another.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I would think that regulation distance is pretty important for pitching practice. Does anyone debate this? Disclaimer...I secretly want a 50' long garage, but that's another story. VW

I have a 50' garage, well its a pole barn technically. For a 43' plate its about 5 feet too short. Start wishing for a 60' foot garage:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01