Early committing drawback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
Without getting too specific I want to share some of what we are going through. In 2 weeks time my dd made the decision to transfer colleges, contact a ton of coaches, finished finals and make 4 official visits. This is more a knock on the ncaa rules than anything. From summer after sophomore year in hs my dd knew where she was going to play college ball. Weight off her everyone's shoulders, it was great, blah blah blah. But this time around she is actually getting to use her full 5 official. She said "this is actually a lot of fun". Well yeah, free trip, getting made wanted and special,.... And with girls being pressured to make a choice by sophomore, freshman or even eighth grade they miss out on so many experiences. Sure they can take unofficial visits on the parent's dime but who has the cash to blow on a trip across country just to see if their kid might like a school? Football, basketball and many baseball players have the luxury of waiting till late in their senior year or even day of signing to decide. Why won't the NCAA give the kids the power to see more schools and hold the cards in their hands instead of being pressured to decide so early without any real exposure to many different schools.

Starting freshman year they can begin taking their official visits. Still get 5 and one additional their senior year in case the situation changes at the school previously selected(New coach, change conferences, whatever). Since the ncaa is truly looking out for the best interests of the kids, wink wink, make changes that actually show they are.

This is not a gripe about anything my kid has gone through. Everything has been great, sometimes it just isn't the right fit. This is 100% a realization of how much our girls are missing because of very early commitments in their sport. The ncaa needs to pull their hollier than thou heads out of their rears and do right by the kids. Kids are going to keep making decisions vat very young ages. So why not give them every resource possible to make that decision based on every aspect of the school. Not just name recognition or the color of the uniforms. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
FWIW, I'd rather see softball recruiting move back to happening later than NCAA make changes supporting early recruiting. jmho

Sorry to hear this news. I hope everything works out for your DD.

Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, I really don't know the right answer. As long ad they can verbally commit early then things won't change.

And thanks. It was mutual and they have been great pointing schools her way. She will be making her decision this week. Had some really great visits and will have to make a tough choice.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
slingnit, good luck to your dd and your family. I hated the recruitment process. BB saw the good in bad in several coaches. One just flat lied to other schools about her. Well, I could go on a rampage here and really vent. I hope that your dd finds that fit that makes her happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes