Dropped 3rd: Safety Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2024
Where the safety base is not used, only 4" of the base (or 2" inches if the lines are 2" wide) is in alignment with the lane. Common sense dictates that the batter-runner must be allowed take their last step in fair territory (out of the lane) in order to reduce the ankle injury risk associated with being restricted to a tiny sliver of the base. A provision for this is made in NCAA rules, but not NFHS rules. A simple solution for this safety base dilemma would be to apply the same logic that is behind the "last step" provision in the NCAA running lane rule. This is a great example of shortcomings often found in NFHS rules.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The safety base rules say offense uses contrasting colored portion and the defense uses the white portion. There is no exception made for the d3k situation.

In NFHS at least, yes, there is. Or at least for all practical purposes there is since it's the most common example of when this would occur.

8-10-2a - "The offense or defense may use either the white or colored portion on any force out attempt from the foul side of first base."

So, we know the rules are specifically thinking of a D3K type of situation, and they allow for the defense to switch to the safety base.

Let's look at 8-10-2c - "When the defensive player uses the colored portion of the double base, the batter-runner can run in fair territory when the throw is coming from the foul side of first base, and if hit by the thrown ball, it is not interference. If intentional interference is ruled, the runner is out."

So, on D3K on the foul side of the first base line and the defensive player set up on the colored portion of the base, no runner's lane.

Here's where it's confusing: The rules say the runner "can" run in fair territory. Does not say she has to. It doesn't require the runner to switch; it allows it. So I would say if the runner is running in foul territory there, unless she's very clearly intentionally interfering with the throw (running a straight line does not count), no interference. But if she makes contact with F3, I think you have to call interference there because the rules strongly encourage her to use the white portion of the base if F3 is using the colored portion.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
The BR in a d3k sit has no idea where the catcher is so they can’t know the throw is coming from foul territory. The “may use either” has always by my interpretation meant exactly that- F3 and BR “may” use either base. So at that point it’s one big base and hopefully they don’t collide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2024
In NFHS at least, yes, there is. Or at least for all practical purposes there is since it's the most common example of when this would occur.

8-10-2a - "The offense or defense may use either the white or colored portion on any force out attempt from the foul side of first base."

So, we know the rules are specifically thinking of a D3K type of situation, and they allow for the defense to switch to the safety base.

Let's look at 8-10-2c - "When the defensive player uses the colored portion of the double base, the batter-runner can run in fair territory when the throw is coming from the foul side of first base, and if hit by the thrown ball, it is not interference. If intentional interference is ruled, the runner is out."

So, on D3K on the foul side of the first base line and the defensive player set up on the colored portion of the base, no runner's lane.

Here's where it's confusing: The rules say the runner "can" run in fair territory. Does not say she has to. It doesn't require the runner to switch; it allows it. So I would say if the runner is running in foul territory there, unless she's very clearly intentionally interfering with the throw (running a straight line does not count), no interference. But if she makes contact with F3, I think you have to call interference there because the rules strongly encourage her to use the white portion of the base if F3 is using the colored portion.
No, no! The running lane rule specifically protects the batter-runner from interference unless she maliciously interferes. If she establishes her base path in the running lane, she is following the rule and interference should NOT be called. Umpires should never read more into a rule than is there. Enforce the rules as written. Rules do not "strongly encourage"... they either prohibit or allow. When they added the optional safety base, the NFHS softball rules committee did a lousy job by not fully considering the running lane implications. Umpires and coaches, through their state associations, should ask the national rules committee to write better rules regarding the safety base and running lane.

May 29, 2015
The BR in a d3k sit has no idea where the catcher is so they can’t know the throw is coming from foul territory. The “may use either” has always by my interpretation meant exactly that- F3 and BR “may” use either base. So at that point it’s one big base and hopefully they don’t collide.

Maybe, if there was some way we could allow someone from the offense to stand near the base and coach the runner . . . 🤔

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
Maybe, if there was some way we could allow someone from the offense to stand near the base and coach the runner . . .

sure. we have base coaches. they should direct the BR to use the white base in this case.
But if that doesn’t happen and the BR ran in the running lane and used safety base and collided (non maliciously) with F3 who is legally set up on safety base to receive a throw from foul territory I interpret the rules indicate there is not any infraction.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan

She doesn't have to seee the throw, she has to see where the fielder sets up to receive the throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619