Drills to keep weight behind front leg?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
My DD is having a difficult time getting her swing on plane of the ball. She's chopping down on it terrible. I feel like she's getting on top of her front leg instead of behind it. On the tee she's just about perfect, but to live batting she chops to everything. When I pitch to her shell swing correctly 80% of the time, but will chop the 20% of the time. In games and BP from her coach it's 100% of the time she'll chop at it. Line drive has sooo much back spin it will hit ground and roll back. And won't have hardly any drive. She's 8 yo and plays coach pitch now, but will move up to 10u this fall. We just can't fix the chopping in her swing. Any help appreciated.

Chad

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Make sure she is getting her hips open. Keep doing tee drills mixing in alot of front toss till her swing is the same.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm not a hitting guru by any stretch of the imagination and my 12yo DD struggles at the plate at times but I can tell ya this.....if your DD is 8yo, she is going to go through so many changes with her swing that it'll drive you nuts. It's best to be positive and try not to pull your hair out in the process! Oh and one more thing.....don't coach tne good out of her.......backspin line drives are good!! Good luck.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It isn’t uncommon for a particular mechanic to break down when going from the ‘tee’ to ‘live hitting’. Contrary to the advice already given, the best solution isn’t to do tons of tee work in hopes that it will eventually carry over, but to instead to further promote the concept with the ball coming at the hitter.

Here you present a different issue. When you pitch to your DD you obtain the mechanic you are after, but when the coach pitches to your DD you obtain a different mechanic.

Could be a mental thing.

Could be that you and the coach are throwing the ball with a different arc.

Oct 21, 2012
I'm not a hitting guru by any stretch of the imagination and my 12yo DD struggles at the plate at times but I can tell ya this.....if your DD is 8yo, she is going to go through so many changes with her swing that it'll drive you nuts. It's best to be positive and try not to pull your hair out in the process! Oh and one more thing.....don't coach tne good out of her.......backspin line drives are good!! Good luck.

Boomer you are exactly right about the changes. There for awhile her swing changed everyday pretty much. But she always had a good swing with little changes. But this was a big change and it's been here for a good while. Appreciate the good advice, past month has been a lot of hair pulling. LOL. We'll just keep working and hopefully overcome it.

Thanks
Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom