Drills for better hip rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Assuming you were not looking for off-speed, the lower body mechanics will be timed for the fast-ball. The front foot will touch down assuming it was a fast-ball ... that is touch-down will be determined by the timing relative to a fast-ball, but the front heel will not become 'weighted' until you commit ... and generally you can see this as the front leg continuing to flex/soften while delaying until commitment.

Ok, that makes more sense ... but I still don't understand why if you are maintaining coil into foot plant why it would matter whether your on the ball or planted. IMO the strongest position to control the swing is when both feet are under you (max stretch) but yet you haven't committed.

If one allows the hip to uncoil but not commit before foot plant your bleeding energy ... Which is why I say one should try to achieve max stretch at foot plant.

Now I am not saying it won't happen but it's not a position one should try to achieve.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
TDS ... can I get you to clarify what you meant by "whether you're on the ball or planted"? When you say "on the ball", do you mean the "ball of the front foot" (as in near toe-touch)?

If I could just get a little more clarification then I'd like to take a shot at answering this. My answer may be somewhat controversial ... but getting your feedback on it would be appreciated.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TDS ... can I get you to clarify what you meant by "whether you're on the ball or planted"? When you say "on the ball", do you mean the "ball of the front foot" (as in near toe-touch)?

If I could just get a little more clarification then I'd like to take a shot at answering this. My answer may be somewhat controversial ... but getting your feedback on it would be appreciated.

Yes, ball of the front foot.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What I believe the question is, … why not reach ‘heel plant’ prior to initiating the swing? Why not “Shift THEN Swing”? Why instead promote active shifting into heel plant?

Why do we frequently hear the advice of “reversing heels” … that is getting the rear heel off the ground prior to planting the front heel?

Part of the reasoning, and this may be controversial, has to do with the synchronization with the lead leg … a synchronization that is not possible if we first plant the front heel and then initiate the swing.

Many understand that in throwing, that the external rotation of the upper front leg is synchronized with the external rotation of the rear arm … and that this synchronization serves to further strengthen the firing from the stretched rear lat area. While the degree of external rotation is much less in hitting than it is in throwing, it is still present … at least if it is not “instructed out” of a hitter’s sequence. Some refer to this action as “clearing the hips”, but IMO it serves a bigger purpose than just that … more similar to the benefit one realizes in throwing, just to a smaller degree.

In any event, the timing window for this is “just as the rear foot plants”. This is ‘one’ of the reasons I’ve often stated that there is a benefit to getting the front foot off of the ground, or at least the front heel … because the act of replanting the heel can allow for the sync of the front leg (… and yes, there are other benefits to lifting the front foot, or at least the front heel, off of the ground). That is, often between ‘toe touch’ and ‘heel plant’ you’ll see a small degree of external rotation in the front leg … and often a hitter’s front thigh will go from pointing towards the opposite batter’s box, to pointing to the opposite middle infielder.

We had someone here the other day that had their daughter seeing an instructor that placed a brick adjacent the hitter’s front foot as a means to restrict this action. We’ve also seen clips here where hitters had their front foot down early prior to swing initiation. We’ve also had recommendations of reaching heel plant with the heel square to the pitcher. These are all notions, or recommendations, that actually remove, limit or prevent the natural synchronization of the front leg. That is, if you first plant, and then initiate the swing, then you lose the sync of the front leg.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What I believe the question is, … why not reach ‘heel plant’ prior to initiating the swing? Why not “Shift THEN Swing”? Why instead promote active shifting into heel plant?

Why do we frequently hear the advice of “reversing heels” … that is getting the rear heel off the ground prior to planting the front heel?

Part of the reasoning, and this may be controversial, has to do with the synchronization with the lead leg … a synchronization that is not possible if we first plant the front heel and then initiate the swing.

Many understand that in throwing, that the external rotation of the upper front leg is synchronized with the external rotation of the rear arm … and that this synchronization serves to further strengthen the firing from the stretched rear lat area. While the degree of external rotation is much less in hitting than it is in throwing, it is still present … at least if it is not “instructed out” of a hitter’s sequence. Some refer to this action as “clearing the hips”, but IMO it serves a bigger purpose than just that … more similar to the benefit one realizes in throwing, just to a smaller degree.

In any event, the timing window for this is “just as the rear foot plants”. This is ‘one’ of the reasons I’ve often stated that there is a benefit to getting the front foot off of the ground, or at least the front heel … because the act of replanting the heel can allow for the sync of the front leg (… and yes, there are other benefits to lifting the front foot, or at least the front heel, off of the ground). That is, often between ‘toe touch’ and ‘heel plant’ you’ll see a small degree of external rotation in the front leg … and often a hitter’s front thigh will go from pointing towards the opposite batter’s box, to pointing to the opposite middle infielder.

We had someone here the other day that had their daughter seeing an instructor that placed a brick adjacent the hitter’s front foot as a means to restrict this action. We’ve also seen clips here where hitters had their front foot down early prior to swing initiation. We’ve also had recommendations of reaching heel plant with the heel square to the pitcher. These are all notions, or recommendations, that actually remove, limit or prevent the natural synchronization of the front leg. That is, if you first plant, and then initiate the swing, then you lose the sync of the front leg.

I am not saying one can't clear the front hip. I guess to me the notion that the swing plants the foot is that the rear hip is potentially bleeding energy to achieve it. Where do you feel stronger and quicker? both feet on the ground vs one? I am not saying it will be that way on every swing but one should strive for it. I can understand this position when your down in the count react mode vs hitters count. I know for me when I was in a hitters count I would never get beat inside. I guess one can't argue with Joe Mauer type results but just think if he would take some chances vs react mode from a power standpoint?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It isn't simply a matter of clearing the hips, but doing so with 'timing' and with a sequence that enhances the power from the rear-side lat.

I think I understand what you are saying. Let me see if I can come up with another way to describe this.

Feb 4, 2010
That's how you get in rhythm with the pitcher

Yes, what you call down and in followed by up I call a backward C rhythm movement (ending in hand-cock or hands on shelf--a Q I really like)...my DDs and many teammates were taught (by local RVP-centric hitting coach) to make those small circular movements as part of their pre-swing routine....TKS

every time i come on this site i am amazed at how everyone has their own way and seems to me to make it so difficult to understand - maybe i'm stupid - but the simpler you can make it the easier it is to understand

those movements with the hands allow the hitter to get in rhythm with the pitcher - and of course newton's first law applies - thought i'd add my twist as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC