Drag vs bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
What constitutes a drag vs a bunt?

Scenario...

Batter has 2 strikes. Next pitch she drags. It goes foul. Blue calls her out stating that even though she moved through the box, it was still a bunt because she didn't break her wrists.

So, did he make the right call? I have an idea of what I think is the right answer, but wouldn't be at all surprised if I were wrong.

Jun 22, 2008
ASA does not define a drag bunt, but a bunt is a pitched ball intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield.

FED does define a drag bunt, an attempt to bunt the ball by running foward in the batters box, carrying the bat with her. The movement of the bat is in conjunction with the batters forward movement.

A drag bunt is exactly what it describes, a bunt by dragging the bat through the zone. It is still a bunt, the batter did not try to hit the ball with any force, they were attempting to tap the ball with the bat. A slap is completely different, and again while ASA does not provide a definition for it, FED does. A slap hit is a batted ball that has been struck with a short, chopping motion rather than with a full swing.

Based on your description the umpire made the correct call.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Based on your description the umpire made the correct call.

But maybe for the wrong reason...

"Breaking the wrists" isn't a determining factor for a bunt and there isn't any rule that states that. This isn't something that an umpire should be telling a coach he based his call upon.

Apr 25, 2010
In all the years of watching or coaching TB, we had never seen it called that way, so when DH questioned it, the breaking wrists was the clarification given. Since this was the first we had seen this called, I figured I better get some clarification.

Mar 2, 2013
Here are some guidelines that I have found helpful. They aren't written in stone, but they certainly help you to the right call.

1. If you are not sure whether it’s a slap hit or a slap bunt, call it a slap hit.

2. If the bat is moving faster forward than the batter, call it a slap hit.

3. If there is aggression from the bat to the ball, call it a slap hit.

4. If there is a driving force through the strike zone from the bat to the ball with a follow through with the bat past the body, call it a slap hit.

5. If there is a noticeable open hip turn into the ball on the follow-through of the swing, it is likely a slap hit.

6. If there is a passive placing of the ball from the bat, call it a slap bunt.

7. If the ball is intentionally tapped slowly with the bat, call it a slap bunt.

8. If the ball is not swung at but intentionally tapped or placed, call it a slap bunt.

9. If the batter’s hands stop in front of the body or pull back from the ball at the contact point, call it a slap bunt.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Agree with call of out.

Bunt - Slat - Tap
Under normal conditions the batter holds the bat with both hands, with one hand at the knob of the bat.

There are two phrases that mean the same in reference to a bunt, tap, swing, slap, etc:
"Is one end of the bat moving more or faster than the other end" and "Look for the break or twist in the wrist".

Umpire must observe bat movement at time of ball contact.
a) Swing or slap - either phrase is possible.
b) Bunt - neither phrase will happen.
c) Tap - most likely is a bunt, but could also be a weak slap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma