Doing research...which is better two smaller team or one larger team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
I am putting together a research paper of sorts for our local league and would be happy for any input based on actual experience or online sources you can direct me to.

I am sure we have all faced this with recreational leagues in that you end up with 18 kids and you struggle with having one large team or two smaller teams with just enough.

Having been in both situations, I am all for the smaller teams and then using pool players from the other team, but it could be a scheduling nightmare.

I see pros and cons for both, but based on my experience, I would go with two smaller teams. What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

Thanks in advance!
GG

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You need to identify age levels. A small team at 12u will work, assuming they're are no injuries. A small team at 18u will almost always fail.

Jun 11, 2013
We played little league baseball fall ball last year with 51 kids. they chose to have 5 teams with 11 on one and 4 with 10. They suspended forfeit rules and if a team was short the other team would rotate in a player if needed in the field. It was great to play with 8 (and even 7) one game as my son was able to bay 3-5 times a game. Now this was was Fall ball so it wasn't as competitive, but it worked out pretty well.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
We played little league baseball fall ball last year with 51 kids. they chose to have 5 teams with 11 on one and 4 with 10. They suspended forfeit rules and if a team was short the other team would rotate in a player if needed in the field. It was great to play with 8 (and even 7) one game as my son was able to bay 3-5 times a game. Now this was was Fall ball so it wasn't as competitive, but it worked out pretty well.
This.

Always better to get more players more innings, and develop a bit of camaraderie and sportsmanship between the teams. 18 kids getting the maximum amount of innings is far superior than sitting 9 every inning. You'd be lucky if all 18 got 1 AB every game. I can't even try to imagine practicing with 18.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would first figure out if you have enough competent pitchers and catchers to field 2 teams. If you don't the rest of the exercise is moot.

Jul 2, 2013
11 players on a softball team is an ideal number, Or 12.

How do small teams at 18U 'fail"? They all get to play. Most compete quite well. Most tourney's are just shows.

Be more specific please, or come off as biased with no foundation.

Sure, on the national level, at competition tournaments you probably need a larger team. But how many of the 18U games in total for travel softball fall into this category. Oh, about 5% of the games. Hardly a "fail" to play against, win your fair share. Play every game and get every at bat on a small team at 18U.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm basing my opinion on the board of a large softball organization for several years.

You need more players, not less, on 18U team if the team is less competitive. "Less competitive" means the kids are less dedicated...meaning that they are more likely to quit right before the season starts or in mid-season. The higher level teams need fewer players, because the girls are more committed.

"Fail" means that the team dissolved in mid-season or the team put on the field was made up mostly of guest players. It is no fun to have an 18U team begging for players the day before a tournament starts.

Our experience was that small 18U teams (under 12 players) were scrambling for girls by mid-July.

But, as far as data goes:

So, I looked at the top finishers at the Boulder Tournament, plus some well known teams. This is the information from their web sites. Some teams (the OC Batbusters, e.g.) don't have rosters up.

Out of the 19 teams, 15 carry 14 or more players. The Grapettes Gold has the smallest roster at 11, but their other 18U team has 18...making me suspect that the lower level team contributes players to the Gold as needed.

Team # on Roster

American Pastime: 16
Case Batbusters: 14
Beverly Bandits #1: 14
Beverly Bandits #2: 14
The Next Level#1: 14
The Next Level#2: 12
Corona Angels: 19
Tulsa Shootout G: 13
Tulsa Shootout : 14
CA USA Athletics: 19
AZ Hotshots 1: 15
AZ Hotshots 2: 15
Chaos Gold: 14
Chaos Showcase: 14
Chaos Futures: 14
EC Bullets: 14
Team North Florida: 12
Grapettes Gold: 11
Grapettes: 18

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Although I would also prefer the smaller teams, it can create some issues. Our rec league overlapped seasons with another sport and many of the girls tried to play both. I typically had 14-15 on my rec teams but rarely showed up to a game with more than 12. This is 10u and 12u I am talking about. If you are reasonably sure that the girls are committed to softball, go with two teams.

Nov 1, 2008
There have been a couple years where we were in this situation. The best solution we had was when we had 21 players one year. We had them all on the same "team" with the same uniforms, same practice, same coaches and all that. But for games we had 3 teams of 7 Players A,B, & C. For each scheduled game we had 2 teams play as one. So Tuesday night we had A&B, Thursday we had A&C, and Friday we had B&C. Our daughters attended every game, but did not play unless we were short on players. And they did not start unless it was their scheduled game. Worked quite well that year.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
I have 10 and it has been a struggle (12U) Twin A was hurt early on. down to 9...struggled to get all the kids together...especially at the end. I only had 6 two nights ago...had to borrow 3 kids. I am for the smaller teams, but the coaches all have to be partners in the deal. If one of the coaches is a dick, and the other has a game too...you are in trouble. I had to get commissioner buy in to pitch a pitcher from another team because of mine having bronchitis...Twin A was backup and see note above.

Its a partnership. Treat it that way and think about the girls and not a trophy and it will work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG