Does your HS talk to local TB coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I believe CB's point was in TB, the player is just considered a 2017; not a "Freshman". There isn't necessarily all the grade-specific drama that HS entails (Sr/Jr vs underclassmen).

In TB most players do not know or care what "grade" other players may be. And there is no class pecking order.

May 14, 2010
I believe CB's point was in TB, the player is just considered a 2017; not a "Freshman". There isn't necessarily all the grade-specific drama that HS entails (Sr/Jr vs underclassmen).

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!

Sorry I wasn't more clear. That is exactly what I meant.

Dec 7, 2011
When TB teams go to showcases, they will put together fliers for the college coaches that lists the HS graduation year - 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. While I will agree that it is rare for a freshman (14 or 15 years old) to make a good 18U roster, but it does happen and there are several girls in GA doing it right now.

Right - my DD was one of those. I thought DD was "rare" with this until we went to Colorado and the big tourneys there and I quickly found out that there were plenty enough to not have it raise any eyebrows...

And just to clarify, riseball nailed it where I mean to say "in my reality" too. I was not disbelieving what you see in your reality and I will try to modify my comments to sound more like this in the future.

May 13, 2012
I have read the entire theard from my OP and the responses are very interesting. Where I was coming from was posts about "HS coaching teaching HE after we worked on IR" type posts. I just find it hard to belive some coaches are so set in a thought. We just started are rec league. The team I coach has TB B players to first yr rec 13-16 yr old. I teach what I believe is correct, however I have players that have parents or coaches that work with thier hitting, pitching etc. The first two practices I just let them do what they do looking for things that might be tweaked not overhauled. If they are productive who am I to change anything. I talk to their parents before changing anything from what they have been teaching or taking lessons on. I don't know everything and don't pretend to. I don't think anyone on here or in college or TB does either. There are some that know a great deal and do an excellant job of teaching. IF Communication We better from the REC, TB, and HS coaching I feel the talent level of that area would explode. All this would come from coaches seeing what does work and what works for each girls build, strengths, weakness etc.

May 12, 2013
I have never coached HS softball but I have coached TB. Here in SC, you do have some HS coaches that also coach TB. The rule is (my understanding) you can have two of your HS players on the TB squad and that is it. Not only are these some good coaches, they know what is going on around them district and state wide. Their TB teams consists of the best girls in the area. Some HS circumvent this rule by having a parent coach what is technically the HS team. This is what I got roped into last year and I will never do it again.
I have learned first hand that HS ball is 2nd fiddle to TB. It is not even close. Girls play HS to represent their school and try to win a state championship, they play TB to get offers to play college.

Jul 2, 2013
I have never coached HS softball but I have coached TB. Here in SC, you do have some HS coaches that also coach TB. The rule is (my understanding) you can have two of your HS players on the TB squad and that is it. Not only are these some good coaches, they know what is going on around them district and state wide. Their TB teams consists of the best girls in the area. Some HS circumvent this rule by having a parent coach what is technically the HS team. This is what I got roped into last year and I will never do it again.
I have learned first hand that HS ball is 2nd fiddle to TB. It is not even close. Girls play HS to represent their school and try to win a state championship, they play TB to get offers to play college.

Every part of the country is different, and each high school is different. On top of that, each player is different. To make blanket statements like this are wrong. Though the general premise of your position is correct.

My player has offers, and travel softball had very little to do with it. It almost all has to do with what high school she plays for. How she is connected with other players on her team. And how respected her game is.

Sure, she could have elevated the offers through travel. But enough offers are out there so that my DD has enough to choose from if she makes a choice in that direction.

She is not alone. Travel is used to hone her game for high school spring season. Not to get offers.

As far as TB being head and shoulders above HS softball. If that were the case, there would be no need to trumpet your opinion of this. Sure HS is a small step below TB in our area. But the fact remains, the overall viewership of softball (and at HS) is highest in the nation for the next 3 months.

TB folks have the hardest time rationalizing this fact, and insist on coming on message boards during HS ball, say how awful it is. Yet during TB season, the HS folks just leave well enough alone.

Why is that?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Sure, she could have elevated the offers through travel. But enough offers are out there so that my DD has enough to choose from if she makes a choice in that direction.

SC, I know we've had our differences, but all joking aside, do you mean to say that you are limiting your DD's choices because you felt playing HS ball only was more important than your daughter's future? Colleges have reputations as well as high schools and most businesses worth their salt have a very good idea which colleges have the best programs of interest that corresponds to their industry. Why on Earth would you not try to get your DD as many offers as possible because of her skillset in SB? I realize that many times colleges will use academic scholarships to offset what an athletic one doesn't. If I recall correctly, your DD will qualify for quite a bit of that. Still, to limit the number of colleges that will look at your DD for an athletic scholarship by not playing TB just seems....IDK.... wrong.

Jul 2, 2013
SC, I know we've had our differences, but all joking aside, do you mean to say that you are limiting your DD's choices because you felt playing HS ball only was more important than your daughter's future? Colleges have reputations as well as high schools and most businesses worth their salt have a very good idea which colleges have the best programs of interest that corresponds to their industry. Why on Earth would you not try to get your DD as many offers as possible because of her skillset in SB? I realize that many times colleges will use academic scholarships to offset what an athletic one doesn't. If I recall correctly, your DD will qualify for quite a bit of that. Still, to limit the number of colleges that will look at your DD for an athletic scholarship by not playing TB just seems....IDK.... wrong.

My DD chooses her path in life, period. I brought her up to be in charge of it, for it is her life.

My DD is one of the best hitters in the state. She chooses to align herself with the high school folks who have given the energy to align themselves with her. The local folks know her. She faces, and hits against the best pitchers this area has to offer, and this area has great pitchers ... they know her.

I have no choice. She tells me what she wants for softball ... I give it to her. My DD has so many softball people, coaches, administrators, everyone who knows who she is and dedicate some of their time to making my DD a better person and a better player.

It is all about giving back. I am so grateful to the many, many people, who have given to my DD, that my only goal is to give back to them.

Something travel folks have great difficulty with.

For what it is worth ... the college coaches love this message. Our program is watched. What I post here is watched. There simply are more ways than one to get people to help your DD in life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877