Does this look right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
It’s funny you bring this up. I watched a clip recently on a guy from I believe it was justbats/bat digest and he was trying to bend a composite Fastpitch bat over his knee. The bat didn’t budge.
He went on to say it’s a marketing ploy bats don’t really flex on contact. Your video says otherwise.

ALL Eastons do that!

At least, that’s what I’m told every time I toss an Easton bat during equipment checks. Doesn’t matter if it is a rattle, feeling the barrel move independently from the handle (wobble), or turning the handle about a quarter of an inch while the barrel doesn’t move (that was a first for me this weekend).

Yes, a two-part bat is going to have some flex to it. As somebody mentioned, you can even see solid-construction wood bats doing it with the right photography/video. However, you shouldn’t be able to shake the bat lightly and feel the barrel moving separately.

Getting ready to head to a state tournament this weekend and possibly a national in a few weeks ... it would be nice if somebody would publish something clarifying what a bat should and should not do.

Apr 28, 2019
ALL Eastons do that!

At least, that’s what I’m told every time I toss an Easton bat during equipment checks. Doesn’t matter if it is a rattle, feeling the barrel move independently from the handle (wobble), or turning the handle about a quarter of an inch while the barrel doesn’t move (that was a first for me this weekend).

Yes, a two-part bat is going to have some flex to it. As somebody mentioned, you can even see solid-construction wood bats doing it with the right photography/video. However, you shouldn’t be able to shake the bat lightly and feel the barrel moving separately.

Getting ready to head to a state tournament this weekend and possibly a national in a few weeks ... it would be nice if somebody would publish something clarifying what a bat should and should not do.
Any way to determine if a bat has been altered for performance in your experience? Shaved, etc....

Oct 13, 2017
Any way to determine if a bat has been altered for performance in your experience? Shaved, etc....
Composite bats definitely bend. DD had a Bustos that would bend over my knee quite a bit. You can tell if abat is shaved when it breaks because there is a altering bat warning on the inside of the barrel that will be noticeably marked or gone.

Apr 28, 2019
Composite bats definitely bend. DD had a Bustos that would bend over my knee quite a bit. You can tell if abat is shaved when it breaks because there is a altering bat warning on the inside of the barrel that will be noticeably marked or gone.
Ok I gotcha. I was curious because I see these “Home Run Derby” bats advertised that charge extra for altering the bat in some way. I guess maybe they just roll them which should be done in the factory before there painted from what I understand.

Apr 28, 2019
ALL Eastons do that!

I’m sure it sucks getting your favorite bat tossed prior to a game. Tough call on some I’m sure especially with coaches/parents chirping at you.

Apr 28, 2019
I’m sure it sucks getting your favorite bat tossed prior to a game. Tough call on some I’m sure especially with coaches/parents chirping at you.
From what I understand in bats with more than two pieces the barrel and handle are supposed to move independently from each other. The flex enhances performance. It appears that may happen on contact when the bat is in use. The bats seem stiff/rigid when not in use.

Apr 11, 2019
From what I understand in bats with more than two pieces the barrel and handle are supposed to move independently from each other. The flex enhances performance. It appears that may happen on contact when the bat is in use. The bats seem stiff/rigid when not in use.

Trampoline effect maybe? Tough to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015

Yes ... the key is when you said “when the bat is in use.” As part of my check, I grab the bat with one hand above the grip (tape) and give it a leisurely shake (holding my wrist firm). I was trained (properly? improperly?) that you should not feel the separate movements with that small of a motion.

When you are giving a full swing and smacking the ball? Yes, you should see some flex there. The “trampoline effect” is the bat whipping back to shape and thrusting the ball forward with it. (Think about landing on a trampoline and how the canvas gives way as you come down and then flings you back up.)

Yes, it sucks tossing bats. That is why I have been trying to find any resources to teach proper inspections. The governing bodies are great about handing out these dictates, but have done nothing (that I can find) to properly train umpires on this issue.

May 29, 2015

I’ve never encountered any of that and really can’t tell you anything about it. Then again, I don’t (and won’t) work slow pitch or men’s softball where those things are more prevalent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00