Does it matter where you go to college?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I had to find this thread and read the article again. My DD is being heavily recruited by a D2 that is definitely not a top tier academic school. They do have a pre-health track which is what she wants. It's a struggle. I know her main schooling will not be her undergrad degree - is it a smart move to take the almost free ride and save the money we have put aside for her Graduate degree or go D3 and get the same pre health degree but from a better school?

Does the D2 or D3 give your DD a better chance of getting into the preferred graduate school? How much better is the chance and is it worth the extra $$$ out of pocket for the undergraduate degree?

Sep 28, 2015
Thank you both. Shes my first to go through any of this ...I feel like a fish out of water! I'll be making a lot of phone calls next week!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 28, 2015
One more question- do most players that go D1 or D2 not finish school in four years? Do they play 5 years? Do academic scholarships last five years? As you can tell - I am clueless!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Following this...DD is also heavy on the radar of both D2 and D3 schools. We had a good talk last night, and honestly, the D3 schools offer so much more academically...and pays off more in long run. HOWEVER, I agree with previous post about asking the departments what their placement rate is. DD will be pre-med, and she will be asking about their MCAT statistics and statistics on med school acceptance rates. Also, if your DD is strong academically, even though D3 schools don't offer athletic scholarships, some (and maybe most?) will find the money. What I don't know is if student-athletes at D3 schools get precedence over other students on academic monies offered.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
One more question- do most players that go D1 or D2 not finish school in four years? Do they play 5 years? Do academic scholarships last five years? As you can tell - I am clueless!

My dd played at a D-II. She could not finish in 4 years because she could not do her student teaching in the spring while she played softball. So, she had to attend a half year more. We paid for that and not the school. Thank goodness we had a college fund for her and so, that was really the first time we had to get in to it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Summer school is a great option to help an athlete finish in 4 years.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

DD#1 (D1) went 5 years. We had to pay for the last year. The coach did help her get one of the primo campus jobs.

I've talked to other parents, and this is pretty common. It is usually very difficult to get one or two of the senior level classes because of practice and softball. Those classes are usually offered only once a year, so the player only has one chance. If the class schedule conflicts with the softball schedule,then the player can't take the class.

DD#3 (D3) finished in 4 years. She had a conflict with class and practice her senior year. She told the coach she would be 1 hour late. The coach did not like it very much, but he allowed her to come late to practice twice a week.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
There's this little private elite college called Washington University at St Louis that is ranked #15 in the nation but I guess we shouldn't mention it since it doesn't really matter what college you go to according to the premise of this thread?

Washington-St. Louis is DD's "shot for the stars" choice. She's realistically looking at/talking to Bigger to mid-size NAIA's. But I told her you have to reach for at least one dream college. Had a really successful weekend with college coach exposure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles