Do you protect batters/pitchers during indoor live hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Going live in a week or so and wonder what you think about providing L screens to protect batters from errant pitches and pitching nets for the pitchers for the screaming shots up the middle. I think the nets can distracting to batters/catchers and placing the L screens just right is tricky (and sometimes you get those hard shots to the poles which ricochet). Just hoping noone gets seriously hurt indoors.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'd screen neither if you're trying to replicate game conditions. If your objective is to have pitchers throw BP, screen the pitchers. If you feel there's a need to screen your batters, you have bigger problems!

Mar 28, 2013
Batters wearing helmets pitchers wearing masks. Thats it. The only thing that I might "consider" using is softies.

Jul 26, 2010
Pitching through a screen (with the hole cutout) is a valuable skill and I use them when we do indoor practices. I want the pitchers to experiment a bit in practice and not have to worry about being decapitated if they throw a ball too fat.

It is HITTING practice though, not batting practice. No fastballs down the middle here.

-W

Mar 28, 2013
Seen more pitchers hit because they are counting on a screen or a bar ricochet then ever hit not using one. Just my own observation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1