Do the math-frames/sec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
OK, someone show mw where I am wrong in my thinking.I have been told that a 5 frames per sec (30 fps video) swing is a good swing, so I just decided to break down the numbers for myself & see what I come up with, & I come up with a little over 8 frames per sec to get the job done. here is the data I used:

50mph pitch=73.3 feet per second
pitch covers 40 feet in.54 sec
decision time =.27 sec (ball halfway to home plate)
30 fps video shoots 8 frames in .27sec

Now I understand that higher levels & faster pitching will make faster swing speed nessecary, but 50 mph seems like a reasonable ave. pitch speed for the level of ball I will be playing this year....B level 14u
What am I missing & forgetting here???

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2009
Some minor things to keep in mind... first, the 40 foot pitching distance is measured to the back "point" of home plate. That's not where contact is made. So you're really looking at ~38.5' (depending on where your contact point is). Also, what are you counting as a "swing"? You hit the ball in the middle(?) of the swing, not at the end of the swing. So while your math is correct, I don't think it's telling you what you want to know. Based on your math though (8 frames/swing), and knowing you should make contact ~ halfway through the swing, you're at a 4 frame swing from the start of the swing to the contact point.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
actually, I am thinking that measuring a swing means is..... X amount of frames from start of launch to contact...in this case, that would be 8.

I want you to know where I am coming from here. I admit in the past I was a poor hitting instructor. my girls always seemed to be late. my answer to that was twofold- get a lighter bat & start the swing earlier. since reading this forum, the light bulbs have went off & I realize that while that might help, the real problem is the girls dont have a efficient enough swing, because there is simply a limit as to how soon you can start your swing. What I want to do since I have this fancy camera that will take 40stills per sec is to be able to objectively measure how our swing speed is coming from launch to contact. I realize with faster & slower pitching you have more time, thus more frames to get the swing done.

Oct 12, 2009
Some minor things to keep in mind... first, the 40 foot pitching distance is measured to the back "point" of home plate. That's not where contact is made. So you're really looking at ~38.5' (depending on where your contact point is). Also, what are you counting as a "swing"? You hit the ball in the middle(?) of the swing, not at the end of the swing. So while your math is correct, I don't think it's telling you what you want to know. Based on your math though (8 frames/swing), and knowing you should make contact ~ halfway through the swing, you're at a 4 frame swing from the start of the swing to the contact point.

Also, don't forget that the pitcher strides and releases the ball some number of feet out in front of the rubber.

Between that and SamG's point, you're probably at a 7 frame minimum.

Jul 11, 2009
Not a big proponent of frame counts but the guys that are (Mark comes to mind) make alot of sense as far as swing quickness and decision time. At 50mph 2 frames = ~5ft, 60mph 2 frames =>8ft
In other words the quicker your swing the better look you can get before committing.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
The longer you can watch ball flight before you have to start, the better. If a 12 has a six frame swing they are doing some things right ime. When they get really good they are around five. Add strength and maturity, let simmer.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Mark- I timed my DD today at 8-9 frames on a 40 fps camera. I suppose that translates to 6 or 7 @ 30 fps. I gotta say, her swing was horrendous. this bat drag thing is just killin us both. I can show her her swing, vs a good swing,& she understands, but she just cant seem to do it. Both of us are getting very frustrated.

May 12, 2008
I surely understand. You are going to need to create some constraints AND slow down the movements to a speed she can create good movement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA