Do riseballs rise? 3Q2011 Edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
All is possible. I've seen a house fly. I've seen a horse fly. I've even seen a magician turn into a restaurant. And I've seen biscuits rise.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
Screwball, you're not alone out there. I haven't posted for awhile, but I've put my chips on the square that says riseballs rise in several posts. I'd like to hear from a couple of catchers who have caught pitchers with good risers. They have told me that they will lock in on the pitch trajectory, but then must adjust to track the ball as it jumps upward.
And can a ball exhibit a late bend? **** yes -- ask anyone who's faced Mariano Rivera and his cut fastball, which has sawed off more bats than any pitcher in history. If
Rivera can make a ball break down and to the left late, a riseballer can make his ball break up late.
No video available today, sorry.
jim

Last edited by a moderator:

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Isn't the real difference between a rise ball and other pitches that it reduces the effect of gravity and causes it not to drop as much as other pitches? The fact that a catcher misses an unexpected riseball only means she has made the mental calculation where the expected pitch would have ended up.

It may be redundant, but it is a great topic.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
redhawk...again, according to you, the laws of physics don't apply on the softball field.

I hate to tell everyone there is no Santa Claus, but...there is no Santa Claus.

-There is no such a thing as a "late break" on a ball.
-A curve ball doesn't move more than 3 inches.
-4 seam fastballs do not move more than 2 seam fastballs.
-Riseballs don't rise.

And yes, I've caught riseballs before. Yes, they appear to jump. But, they don't.

If a riseball did "jump", they would be impossible to hit. They aren't impossible to hit...in fact, if a hitter knows that the pitcher is going to throw a riseball, they are one of the easiest pitches to hit. Why? Because in women's fastpitch, a riseball trajectory is flat as a pancake when it goes over the plate.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Just when you think you have heard everything on this site, someone has to go throw out some more claims that can't be backed up. I am really getting tired of the lack of fact based data on this board.

No Santa.....C'mon Man!

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Just when you think you have heard everything on this site, someone has to go throw out some more claims that can't be backed up. I am really getting tired of the lack of fact based data on this board.

No Santa.....C'mon Man!

I agree 100%, next thing you know, someone will be telling us the world is round,
last time I went fishing off shore, the captain said "it sure is flat out here"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole