Diving - When to dive and when not to

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
What was the right way to handle this:

Age level: 12u. Tie game. International tie breaker in effect. Runner on 2b. 1 out. 1 run has already scored. Hitter hits ball to right side of field approximately 15 feet behind first base. Ball curves to the right and lands just inside the foul line. Right fielder does not make it to the ball in time to catch it in the air. Possibly could have reached it diving...possibly. 1b and 2b make no attempt at the ball. CF watched play unfold from CF. Right fielder fields the ball on one bounce throws to 2b cutoff. Runner on 2b advanced to 3b. Hitter safe at 1b. Parents and coach yelled at right fielder that she should have dove for the ball. Do you dive in this situation? I thought there were possibly 3 scenarios here:

a. Dive for ball and miss it. Runner on 2b scores and hitter gets a double or a triple.

b. Dive for ball and catch it. Runner on 2b tags and gets to 3b. Hitter is out. 2 outs.

c. Field it on one bounce. Runner on 2b advances to 3b. Hitter reaches 1b. Still 1 out.

I personally think this was the 2b's ball but since only RF made an attempt, what should have been done?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
good luck with a diving catch at 12U. DD is a starting CF on 18U and diving catches are iffy at best. I see more sliding catches followed by those in front where the kid is so bent over foward that she plows in following the catch. I am in the camp of if there are runners in scoring position late in the game you have to keep it in front of you. Yes there are exceptions, line drives vs high popups where it won't travel far or between two outfielders where one takes a deeper angle to back up.

LOL, ask one of those parents in stand to show you their diving move. We expect 12U kids to play like a MLB SS when most parents would be scared to take some of the routine ground balls these kids have to field.

Aug 6, 2013
MY DD is 12U and loves to Dive for the ball - Great Heart BUT... we had to explain to her FOR THE MOST PART if you have to dive you have probably misplayed the ball. That being said; - You should not dive for a ball on the line UNLESS you know FOR SURE you will catch it or if not doing so will lose the game (i.e. winning run on third with two outs) - Otherwise you are giving away at least two bases. If the play was to the middle of the field then a dive may have been in order.

And yes that is 2B ball unles RF was playing very shallow.

To answer the question - RF should field the ball on a bounce if quick enough you may still have the play at 1st at worst you can hold the runners to first and third

IMHO with out seeing the play

Last edited:

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
DD, 16 y/o dove for a ball during warm-up (dad you always say you play how you practice) broke her thumb on her throwing hand and did not get to pitch until the last two weeks of the summer season. If the coach has never taught how to dive properly and safely, and practiced it, then why would anyone expect a player to dive. If it has been taught and practiced then I would believe she would have dove for the ball. JMHO

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
I am not sure about diving but balls over the 1st head, fair or foul are the 2nds ball. Same with over the 3rd and SS.

If the OF can get there great but it is the middle infielders ball.

2nd and SS will get the ball, they just might need to practice it a little bit.

If DD dives for the ball she is trying to stop it, not make an out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1