Dividing responsibilities for AC's (assistants)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As with any high functioning organization roles need to be communicated and understood by the entire team. Otherwise chaos will destroy any chance of success. As to who does what, as the Head Coach you need to assign roles based on the strengths and weakness of your staff. As Head Coach you and you alone are responsible. You may decide to delegate authority to manage certain aspects of the game but responsibility cannot be delegated.

I have two AC's and each has specific duties on offense and defense. On defense I call the pitches, one AC handles the infield and the other the outfield. Pitch calling is what drives everything else on defense. One of the biggest mistakes I see teams make is calling pitches in a vacuum either by a coach or the catcher. It has to be a coordinated effort. Prior to each game I communicate my pitching strategy to the team as a whole. I tell them how I plan to pitch specific types of hitters so we are all on the same page. Then when we take the field we dynamically adjust the defense as needed. If things are going well I often turn over some or all of the pitch calling to the catcher. One thing that works fairly well is I call the pitch location and let the catcher choose the pitch. I have some pitchers and catchers that have been working together for 2 - 3 years and I have no reservations turning things over to them in certain situations.

On offense I stay off the field. I feel that it is critical to have regular communication with the pitcher and catcher and I can't compare notes from the last round of defense if I am headed to 3rd as they are coming in from the field. Also if I noticed a mechanical issue with the pitcher I can address it before the next round on defense. My HC runs the offense with help from the AC at the other base. We depart from the norm in that we communicate offensive strategy from the base closest to the dugout. That allows better communication from the dugout to the HC calling the offense, and it also makes doing showcases much easier. We use a combination of visual and verbal signals to communicate instructions to the offense. When a numbered play is called the entire team repeats it which keeps everyone engaged. I give my more seasoned players the flexibility to call plays on the fly. With an experienced runner at 3rd and home we just tell them to make something happen. They may flash some signs back and forth or just know what the other has in mind. More than once I have been taken back by their ingenuity and creativity when just given the chance.

Dec 18, 2009
Sidney Ohio
As with any high functioning organization roles need to be communicated and understood by the entire team. Otherwise chaos will destroy any chance of success. As to who does what, as the Head Coach you need to assign roles based on the strengths and weakness of your staff. As Head Coach you and you alone are responsible. You may decide to delegate authority to manage certain aspects of the game but responsibility cannot be delegated.
QUOTE]

Well said, and agreed!

Dec 18, 2009
Sidney Ohio
Have you thought about teaching your catchers to do this?

I've planned to work into catchers calling their own....

Starting with this winter, doing a little "scenarios" where they are calling pitches, and we discuss why they throw what pitch and when.
Come our 1st tournaments, they will get room to call their own during some pool play games, and will see where it evolves from there.
I trust the softball IQ of my #1 C, #2 & my utility may take a little more work~~

Nov 4, 2013
Our catchers call the pitches. We are first year 14U and they have been calling pitches since first year 12U. At first it was hard to let go of that but in the long run it has made both the pitchers and catchers better. I've said this before in other threads so forgive me for repeating, but it made our catchers better hitters too. They started to think along with the opposing pitcher. How would they get themselves out. It has been great. When we started I would talk to both pitcher and catcher at the beginning of the inning letting them know who was coming up and suggestions on pitch selection. We also talked after each inning to review what happened but during the inning I just let them go. Now, I rarely have to say a word except "nice inning." The really nice part is it frees you as the HC up to concentrate on other things (defense, strategy next time we hit, substitutions etc.

I only have two assistants but one is in charge of infield defense and the other outfield defense. I call the game from 3B and the coach in the dugout on offense just sort of trouble shoots. Makes suggestions for subs, tries to pick up on tendencies of pitchers etc. It works well for us.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks YOC...

Im going to call the pitches (2 of 3 ACs are capable, both seem more comfortable if I do it).
Main thing Im tinkering with is notion of staying in dugout when we are hitting. Typically Im down at 3B...

Very interested in how this works out for you since I am considering doing the exact same thing. We went with a larger roster this spring and we are playing at a higher level (we are 14s as well). I have coached 3B and called pitches, or worked with the catcher who was calling but we are at a point where I think we need to handoff the offensive calling from 3B to an AC. That leaves me a little more time to manage the overall game from the dugout, talk with our pitchers and catchers during at bats, etc.

Pros and Cons I'm sure but it's something will try out and see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321