Didn't see the run score

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Don't have an nsa case book but both asa and nfhs have case plays indicating this is not interference. I seem to remember seeing the same in usssa but would have to look

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
OK...decided to look it up. NSA: "Interference is the act of an offensive player or team member, who impedes or confuses a defensive player while attempting to execute a play. If judged so by the umpire, vocal interference may be called."

You're missing something there.

Notice that it says the defensive player must be "attempting to execute a play". This means that the fielder must be attempting to put out an offensive player. Since the batter is not entitled to run, there is no out available at first base. If no out is available, then you can't say that the fielder is attempting to make an out. Thus, this is not interference.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This is from the NSA case book. Not exactly the same play, but it does illustrate that a batter running to first base when not entitled to, and drawing a throw, is not interference. If it were, then in this case play it would be interference by a retired player and the runner closest to home would be out. But it's not, so all advances by other baserunners are allowed to stand.

8.2d In FP, R1 is on second base, R2 is on first base with one out. B3 swings and misses at 3rd strike which is not caught by the catcher. F2 retrieves the dropped ball and throws to first base. R1 scores and R2 reaches third safely.
Ruling: The batter is out because first base was occupied with less
than two outs. Baserunners legally advanced with jeopardy to be put out.

Mar 2, 2013
I wonder what the hell the base coaches were doing this whole time. :confused: I wonder if they did anything that was sportsmanlike/ethical. I'm gathering they didn't. :eek:

Feb 7, 2013
I wonder what the hell the base coaches were doing this whole time. :confused: I wonder if they did anything that was sportsmanlike/ethical. I'm gathering they didn't. :eek:

Not sure what you are implying here but it sounds like no one got this one right. The batter runs to an occupied 1st base with less than two outs on strike 2?; baserunner at 1B runs to 2B because she thought she was being forced to 2B by the batter/baserunner?, the defense throws to 2B allowing the potential winning run to easily score from 3B; the umpires are clueless on how to correctly rule the situation? Sounds like no one knows what is going on in that game. Maybe it's a result of 10u and inexperienced umpires, coaches, and players.

Mar 2, 2013
Not sure what you are implying here but it sounds like no one got this one right. The batter runs to an occupied 1st base with less than two outs on strike 2?; baserunner at 1B runs to 2B because she thought she was being forced to 2B by the batter/baserunner?, the defense throws to 2B allowing the potential winning run to easily score from 3B; the umpires are clueless on how to correctly rule the situation? Sounds like no one knows what is going on in that game. Maybe it's a result of 10u and inexperienced umpires, coaches, and players.

I'm not implying anything. Rather, I'm expressly stating a concern. It seems to me that the person complaining about a run not scoring is a base coach who, by rule, is to give guidance and direction to his offensive players. Moreover, is responsible for the more welfare and sportsmanship of the players. Anyone coach, regardless of an express rule as to what to do here, who allows all of this to happen isn't doing his job. It shows a lack of sportsmanship, a lack of integrity, or at best, a complete lack of rules knowledge and game situation awareness. Umpires only can enforce a penalty after the fact here. It was up to the coaches to prevent it from happening in the first place. Sorry for the rude awakening, but the initial blame goes to the coaches for failing in their responsibilities.

Feb 7, 2013
I'm not implying anything. Rather, I'm expressly stating a concern. It seems to me that the person complaining about a run not scoring is a base coach who, by rule, is to give guidance and direction to his offensive players. Moreover, is responsible for the more welfare and sportsmanship of the players. Anyone coach, regardless of an express rule as to what to do here, who allows all of this to happen isn't doing his job. It shows a lack of sportsmanship, a lack of integrity, or at best, a complete lack of rules knowledge and game situation awareness. Umpires only can enforce a penalty after the fact here. It was up to the coaches to prevent it from happening in the first place. Sorry for the rude awakening, but the initial blame goes to the coaches for failing in their responsibilities.

I agree that the coaches need to teach the players, especially 10U, how to play the game properly. But if you assume this was an honest mistake by the batter/baserunner, I don't see how the coaches, during the play could do much to help. For example, the batter/baserunner takes off for 1st base simultaneously, B2 heads to 2B (maybe it was a straight steal or hit and run, or the baserunner thought she was being forced? We don't have enough information to say definitively?). The defense makes a play at 2B, so if I'm the 3rd base coach with a runner on third in a tie game, I am sending her home if I think she can make it safely.

I could be wrong, but I took your post ("were the coaches acting sportsmanlike/ethical") as suggesting that this was an intentional play devised by the coaches to get the defense to erroneously throw the ball to 1B or 2B to allow the baserunner on 3B to score? I didn't see anything in the original facts to suggest this was intentional. You need to remember that this is 10U and most of the these players (and coaches) do not have a lot of experience with the Dropped Third Strike rules. At that age, we coaches were constantly reminding both our catchers and batters what the count was and what to do re: DTS. It's not an easy concept for 9 and 10YO to understand.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
The defense makes a play at 2B, so if I'm the 3rd base coach with a runner on third in a tie game, I am sending her home if I think she can make it safely.

I agree: once the defense made a play on B2,
it's a live ball situation, and as 3b coach, I'm trying to score.

Send the runner home, and see what outs/runs stand after the ump sorts the play out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A few facts regarding this situation...
The batter running to 1B on strike 2 was not an intentional play to confuse the defense.
Runner at 3B is a heads-up player and saw an opportunity to score, as she has been trained.
I was not a coach on the field during the play.

Currently, we are trying to get the girls to run to 1B on any strike 3, dropped or not. We have lost far too many opportunities by standing around while the C collects the ball and tags out our batter still standing in the batter's box. The 10yo batter was simply confused about the count. It happens.

Also...I'm not 100% sure if the runner at 1B was already running to 2B when the batter started towards 1B. She may have been.

Feb 7, 2013
Currently, we are trying to get the girls to run to 1B on any strike 3, dropped or not. We have lost far too many opportunities by standing around while the C collects the ball and tags out our batter still standing in the batter's box. The 10yo batter was simply confused about the count.

One of the problems I see here is that 1st base was occupied by a baserunner with less than two outs and therefore this is no "dropped 3rd strike" situation, the batter would just be out. DTS is only in effect when 1st base is occupied with 2 outs. So not only did she not know the count (only 2 strikes), she also didn't know the situation that she shouldn't be running to 1st base because it was occupied.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283