Desperate help with Daughters Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2013
My 8 yo daughter is on her 2nd hitting coach. She plays travel ball and is not a power hitter. She has a fast hard swing but not all the time. The major thing is she is leaning over when she swings. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to correct this. She practices all the time and should be hitting great. She usually gets a base hit but is not where she should be.

Attachments

• 1372304415642.jpg
    1372304415642.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 56

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Hard to tell from a still photo, but based on my experience I'd guess she's tilting on a low pitch before turning. In other words, she sees the pitch is low and immediately lowers her back shoulder to get down, then turns. That is the opposite order in which things should happen.

One thing you can do is have her work on turning the shoulders forward (after the hips fire, of course), then tilting in only as much as she needs to. This is something you should do without a ball so she can get the feel.

Another thing to try is setting a tee high - like letter-high - to force her to take some swings without going down. Then gradually lower the tee and tell her to tilt in only as much as she needs to.

Jun 26, 2013
We'll need more than one image. Video would be much preferred.

Usually gets a base hit ... Where should she be?

She barely gets it out of the infield. Most of the time it is on the ground and some hard line drives. She is strong but not a strong bat. She leans her head to her right shoulder and then leans over when she swings as you can see in the picture. I want to know if there is a drill specifically for getting her upper body to stay tall when swinging. She hits probably 3 to 4 times per week. Her leaning gets bad when mthe xoach pitches to her or during soft toss. Worse on coach pitch. I can take a video tomorrow afternoon.

Jun 26, 2013
Thank you so much Ken I think this is exactly what is happening. If she hits a higher pitch she drives it farther.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
9 y/o swing from the model thread:
20rtwrp.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet