Delanie Gourley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Sorry I have to revise my opinion of this pitcher. Yesterday I thought she was awesome, but upon reviewing my video of the game I found her to be a cheater. Burn her at the stake with the rest of the witches. You can clearly see here that the reason she can throw such an amazing drop ball is that she is airborne enough to clear at least the height of a medium sized cockroach. She is nothing but a cheater in my book that is destroying the integrity of the game.

View attachment 7597

Im surprised that Riseball hasn't made a comment on this. I mean the Barnhill thread has over 33 pages attributed to how illegal she is. I commented on it some time ago and got ousted because of it. I said most if not all successful pitchers have something about their mechanics that makes them "illegal". I was called a hypocrite and said I had no integrity or something like that. Anyway, Im happy to see someone else admires these amazing pitchers despite their "illegal" mechanics.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I appreciate you posting this video adm. My one gripe (and I understand of course why they do it) it the view from behind the pitcher. I really wish they would at least show more replays from the side view. IMO it tells so much more of the story from the side than the back (in terms of pitching mechanics). Of course, there is a softball game going on so again I get it but as a bucket dad I always like to see as many angles as possible.

Thx again!

S3

Most people prefer to see the movement of the pitch and the swing of the batter. Only us psycho softball parents are interested in pitchering mechanics.

Sep 10, 2013
Im surprised that Riseball hasn't made a comment on this. I mean the Barnhill thread has over 33 pages attributed to how illegal she is. I commented on it some time ago and got ousted because of it. I said most if not all successful pitchers have something about their mechanics that makes them "illegal". I was called a hypocrite and said I had no integrity or something like that. Anyway, Im happy to see someone else admires these amazing pitchers despite their "illegal" mechanics.

you need to remember that JJsqueeze needed to use a 'sarcasm' font when he posted this.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Yes, almost all pitchers including my DD are from time to time illegal. However, equating the legality of Gourley with Barnhill is like comparing a jay walker with a serial killer. Illegal is illegal but there is a very long stretch between Gourley competing at the edge of the envelope and Barnhills complete indifference to the rules of the game.

If Gourley were called for an IP I have no doubt she would accept the fact the she was illegal, make the adjustment and pitch the rest of the game without incident. No excuses, no bs, complete accountability and respect for the game.

However, if Barnhill were ever to be called for an IP the skippy enablers would jump to her defense claiming that the rule was unjust, not consistently enforced, and offer endless other rationalizations for her behavior. They would claim it does not matter since she does not get any advantage. They may even go so far as to claim she was not illegal. Nothing but excuses, no accountability, no respect for the game. Huge difference.

It is one thing to admire an athletes physical abilities. It is another to celebrate that same athletes ill gotten accomplishments. I can certainly appreciate Barnhills physical abilities. However I cannot appreciate any accomplishments by way of flagrant disrespect for the rules of the game. Some folks compete with integrity and hold themselves and others to the letter and spirit of the rules. Others will do anything they can get away with to be successful. Honor is often defined as doing the right thing even when nobody is looking. Kelly Barnhill and the Gator softball program do not compete with honor.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Yes, almost all pitchers including my DD are from time to time illegal. However, equating the legality of Gourley with Barnhill is like comparing a jay walker with a serial killer. Illegal is illegal but there is a very long stretch between Gourley competing at the edge of the envelope and Barnhills complete indifference to the rules of the game.

If Gourley were called for an IP I have no doubt she would accept the fact the she was illegal, make the adjustment and pitch the rest of the game without incident. No excuses, no bs, complete accountability and respect for the game.

However, if Barnhill were ever to be called for an IP the skippy enablers would jump to her defense claiming that the rule was unjust, not consistently enforced, and offer endless other rationalizations for her behavior. They would claim it does not matter since she does not get any advantage. They may even go so far as to claim she was not illegal. Nothing but excuses, no accountability, no respect for the game. Huge difference.

It is one thing to admire an athletes physical abilities. It is another to celebrate that same athletes ill gotten accomplishments. I can certainly appreciate Barnhills physical abilities. However I cannot appreciate any accomplishments by way of flagrant disrespect for the rules of the game. Some folks compete with integrity and hold themselves and others to the letter and spirit of the rules. Others will do anything they can get away with to be successful. Honor is often defined as doing the right thing even when nobody is looking. Kelly Barnhill and the Gator softball program do not compete with honor.

But..but..but...isn't a cheater a cheater no matter which rule is not obeyed? That's what someone told me earlier in the barnhill thread, even said I had no integrity.

As for the Gator program....those are some pretty harsh words. I wouldn't expect a Christmas card from coach Walton any time soon.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
But..but..but...isn't a cheater a cheater no matter which rule is not obeyed? That's what someone told me earlier in the barnhill thread, even said I had no integrity.

As for the Gator program....those are some pretty harsh words. I wouldn't expect a Christmas card from coach Walton any time soon.

No secret that I have no respect for the Gator softball program. As to isn't a cheater a cheater, I think I was pretty clear in my previous post.

Sep 10, 2013
my DD has a difficult time striding long. at 5'3" the best she could do is about 6 feet and that's pushing it and messing up with timing.

at one point i said, why don't you just leap? DD's reaction was DAD! that's illegal! I said, they won't call it. DD said NO. FLAT NO.
i was just testing her and she passed with flying colors. yep, she'll never leap out to 7 or 8 feet, but, IMHO, that's not an absolute requirement.
I'd rather have her pitch legally than be illegal just because you can get away with it.

And, BTW, that applies to just about every facet of life, not just softball :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles