Definition of the Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 28, 2009
I am generating an umpire’s manual and facing questions that I thought I knew how to answer. It’s different now that I have to put things on paper.
This is a most basic one – Are the “black” edges of home plate used in defining the strike zone?
Media announcers indicate the answer is “Yes”, since they refer to a pitcher successfully “painting the black”.
Umpire manuals will often include the edges, referring to the width of the strike zone as being the white portion of the plate, plus the two angled black edges, plus the diameter of the ball added at each side (2 times the diameter).

But rule books seem relatively clear in indicating that the edges are not to be considered. Definitions of “strike zone” require the ball to be over any part of home plate, but the rule books identify the dimensions of home plate as having a width of 17 inches. Since the flat white portion has a width of 17 inches, the black cannot be part of home plate for purposes of identifying the strike zone.

Is a pitch that passes over a black edge of home plate without clipping the flat white portion a strike?

Jun 22, 2008
Per ASA rule book, home plate is listed as 17" wide, but also included in the description is that the black edge is 3/4".

Strike zone is defined as that space over any part of home plate when a batter assumes a natural batting stance adjacent to home plate, between the batters arm pits and top of knees.

Based on those two descriptions I would say that per ASA rules the black edge of the plate is includd in the strike zone.

Oct 28, 2009
Comp,
Thanks for the timely response.
I am interested in two "bodies" of rules, and one is ASA. I had looked at the other rule book (the one applying to the local high schools) and assumed that ASA would be the same. So, your input is enlightening.
The high school rule book does not refer to the edging in its description of home plate. It describes the suitable material and the geometry. The geometry is "It shall be a five-sided figure, 17 inches wide across the edge facing the pitcher's plate."

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The Black IS NOT a part of the strike zone and is used to outline the zone. The rub then is that a ball can be over the black and white at the same time. However, there is a small fraction or 1/2 inch, where the ball could be over the black and not the 17 inches of the white. Beware that one should be careful with whom one argues this. You might take a fast exit. In our regional play a few years back, one ump and I had a huge on going argument about this through the year. Now, he stuck it to us during the tournament expanding the zone. He was angry that I had suggested that the black is not a part of the plate but few umpires have the ability to be so precise as to be exact on that 1/2 inch. He made his point and hurt a bunch of innocent kids.

Oct 28, 2009
Thanks Cannonball.
This question likely seems trivial to most readers. My interest is in providing a manual that is accurate, but that helps the new umpires avoid the tendency of having a strike zone that is too small.
If the strike zone is defined by the 17 inch dimension, it seems small. But if I point out that it is really more than 24.5 inches (17 inches plus twice the diameter of a 12-inch softball), umpires are more likely to look for strikes, rather than looking for balls (I am hoping). If I can accurately add the black (1.5 inches according to the ASA rulebook), the total width of the strike zone becomes 26 inches. I like the sound of that.

Jun 6, 2009
Thanks Cannonball.
This question likely seems trivial to most readers. My interest is in providing a manual that is accurate, but that helps the new umpires avoid the tendency of having a strike zone that is too small.
If the strike zone is defined by the 17 inch dimension, it seems small. But if I point out that it is really more than 24.5 inches (17 inches plus twice the diameter of a 12-inch softball), umpires are more likely to look for strikes, rather than looking for balls (I am hoping). If I can accurately add the black (1.5 inches according to the ASA rulebook), the total width of the strike zone becomes 26 inches. I like the sound of that.

Cannonball is correct. I understand what your trying to accomplish. Just tell the umpires the're paid by the game NOT by the hour. :D I never understood why umpires want to do anything that prolongs and complicates the game but have run across a fair number over the years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877