Defining a movement pitch and 'Having command' of one

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
IMO. a pitcher has a movement pitch if it breaks enough to make the batter miss. She has command of that pitch if it breaks soon enough AND moves enough to work on the batter. Having both those qualities is a movement pitch the pitcher has command of.

I agree with everything you said and would add that, for me, "command" would be being able to produce that movement at least 7 out of 10 pitches.

Jan 13, 2010
Hal...great post. In your opinion/experience, how much movement is needed for an effective screwball? My DD is working on that pitch and it seems to be more location and angle oriented, then actually breaking like a curveball does.

Jan 13, 2010
Hal,

She's 17(Jr.) and pitches for her 18u showcase team and highschool. She's throwing the screw hard(60-62) with the movement more riding in, then snapping off like her curve. I will try and work on taking something off the speed to vary the look of the pitch. I want her to get this pitch into her repertoire for lefty's..especially slappers. What grip to you suggest? She has very large hands, so that's not an issue with different grips.

Thanks for insight!
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck