Defensive Signs/calls during the game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Slowing the game down? I don't think so, in fact I believe it is making the game faster. Awkward to wear? Ummm it's on their arm, whats awkward about that?

Nov 23, 2012
North
I'm looking at getting the bands for my team 10u. Last year about half of team struggled with really basic signs. Gave them a little sampler and they all liked the idea of it. Other coaches sceptical. So i guess i too am asking is it worth it the girls wearing these bands.

Nov 23, 2012
North
I'm looking at getting the bands for my team 10u. Last year about half of team struggled with really basic signs. Gave them a little sampler and they all liked the idea of it. Other coaches sceptical. So i guess i too am asking is it worth it the girls wearing these bands. As for awkward, i assume if it good for a qb to wear should be ok.

Apr 14, 2011
Our 12u team travel team (1st year) uses the wrist bands for offense only. I really hesitated when our HC mentioned that he wanted to use them because one team used them last year and it really felt like their players delayed the game...their 3rd base coach would bark out the number at the last second, which then meant that the girl would have to take longer to get in the box to bat, especially since a lot of the girls seemed to have a hard time finding the number (or maybe they were trained to stall the game??). I told our HC that I would pay for it if he trained himself and the girls how to use the wristband properly without causing a delay in the game (OK, OK, it was just a suggestion...I may be the team admin, but he's still the HC!). He did take my suggestion....the wristband system works well for our team...yes, once in a while a girl takes a little longer, but it isn't common at all.

Jun 17, 2012
Our 12u team travel team (1st year) uses the wrist bands for offense only. I really hesitated when our HC mentioned that he wanted to use them because one team used them last year and it really felt like their players delayed the game...their 3rd base coach would bark out the number at the last second, which then meant that the girl would have to take longer to get in the box to bat, especially since a lot of the girls seemed to have a hard time finding the number (or maybe they were trained to stall the game??). I told our HC that I would pay for it if he trained himself and the girls how to use the wristband properly without causing a delay in the game (OK, OK, it was just a suggestion...I may be the team admin, but he's still the HC!). He did take my suggestion....the wristband system works well for our team...yes, once in a while a girl takes a little longer, but it isn't common at all.

Where did you buy or order the wristbands and what size worked for 12u?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Riddel makes a youth version that fits the girls well. It has a Velcro flap that allows for three different cards.
My color matrix is simply pink, green, and orange highlighters on the different cards. The plays are identical but the color and number is different. For example, if the play is drag bunt and steal the runner, the play could be orange 15, pink 33, or green 41... they all mean the same but it would depend on which card she reads. Try to find a sales rep to give you a price break for a team order. Try the same company that your uniforms were bought from. I got mine for $7 each when the msrp was $12

Apr 14, 2011
We bought ours from epicsports for just over $4 a piece. They are the "Martin Football I Compartment Wrist Coach" - they only have one window, so they only fit one card, which can be used for both defense and offense, depending on how many you want. We were afraid they might be too big or too small, especially since you can't see them in person before ordering, but they fit all of our 12u girls - big and small - really well.

The play card itself was created through nevermissasign.com. The program costs about $120 or something like that, but that's not bad for a lifetime license to the product. It allows you to mix up the plays regularly so that you aren't always using the same numbers for the same plays (although there are multiple numbers for the same play as it is). Just last weekend we played a team that we happen to play often and I heard one coach say "I have this one...that's a bunt" - well, he might have been right the previous week, but we had just changed our cards out so the numbers had all changed around!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie