Decision time with 20+ player roster for mixed 1st 2nd year 14U team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Folks, we are facing a decision on what to do with our team's decision to merge the rising players from 12U with the 2nd year 14U. I'm not sure of the total roster count only that it would be around 20. Right now I can't imagine what this is going to look like with playing time (other than a nightmare). Basically the organization and coaching staff thought that the team couldn't be competitive if they were separated by 1st year and 2nd year. This roster is huge and I have no idea where DD fits into the lineup. The little that the team did play this spring/summer, she was outside of the top nine and coach barely got the bench players into the game. We have already got offers since the other teams in the area have heard what is happening but we love the team and org. Oh and it is rumored the fees are about to go through the roof as well. We have a parents meeting upcoming where I assume coach will explain the fees and some form of convincing that this will work.
Stop loving this team and org. They stopped loving you (and the other families) a while ago.
This is putting trophies ahead of players and development. Get out while you can.

Jun 16, 2010
I wouldnt if i had another place to play
best 9 will be on the field most of the time and the rest of the people will be on the bench. It's hard enough to work in two or three extra players.., much less 10.

May 6, 2015
I heard once on heree and agree, age group is about the right number for a team 12u and up. as they get older, girls specialize more, especially pitchers and catchers (and need at least 3 and two of those respectively, and they also need to rest evenif they have secondary positions), and in HS get other things that may cause girls to miss games (SATs, ACTs, graduations, college visits, prom, homecoming, senior trips, etc.)

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
Disappointment results from unmet expectations. If your DD expects to sit during games, not receive individual attention at practices and hear constant complaining from other players and their parents during tournaments then she won't be disappointed. 12U and 14U players have a lot of developing to do so a team with 12-13 players that trains and plays girls at more than one position is what you want.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Cant they have a tryout and get 6 players and have 2 teams?? Not playing on a 20 player roster even if DD is one of the chosen 10 come brackets. Just not doing it. Also if you have 20 players on one team dues should go down..
Already 2 teams... :)
But i get your point ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13