Deciding Who To Charge for Bat Bags...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
DD has had to buy her own helmet, in the past, but not her bag. I would expect the backpacks to last longer than a ball bag, though. One problem that I run into is that we end up ordering new bags every season, because you can't get the exact same ones always. If a player leaves, she doesn't want a bag that she will never use again. The are worthless to anyone, except a team member.

With a catcher, I would probably have her get her own bag for her stuff, but she still gets a backpack.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
DD has had to buy her own helmet, in the past, but not her bag. I would expect the backpacks to last longer than a ball bag, though. One problem that I run into is that we end up ordering new bags every season, because you can't get the exact same ones always. If a player leaves, she doesn't want a bag that she will never use again. The are worthless to anyone, except a team member.

With a catcher, I would probably have her get her own bag for her stuff, but she still gets a backpack.

We use the same vendor and have always gotten the same bat bags, so that never was an issue. last year we started using Boombah bat packs, had to order a couple this year and their the same.

Oct 19, 2009
Forego the bags altogether and use the money to get in another tournament. At 16u who really cares about matching bags?

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Buy the catchers bags as well as the rest of the teams, then split the cost evenly. The catchers have already paid for their own gear. They play as part of the team, and shouldn't have to pay additional just because their position requires additional gear.

Sep 3, 2009
To me the team bags are such a waste of parents money. Every one of these girls already has a bag, maybe 4, from previous teams. But there is always an over enthusiastic parent that wants "matching this, and matching that..." Luckily the last two teams we've been on, we haven't had to participate in the 'bag buy', since my dd is a catcher and already has a very nice bag that holds all her equipment, and her little brother.

The bags look nice and cute for about 2 tournaments, then get all dirty and start falling apart (most teams buy cheapo bags anyway). How about spend the money to have a hitting instructor come in a couple of times, or buy some nice tees and nets for the team? I said these exact words at a parent meeting a couple years ago, and got looked at like I was crazy.

Aug 22, 2009
If pitchers are requires to pay for catchers equipment, will the catcher help defray the cost of pitching lessons?

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
We went the team bag optional route. Provide the order form at the conclusion of tryouts. Give them a few weeks to think it over and leave it thier option. We went with a high quality manufacturer in standard color offerings so year to year deviation in pattern is minimal if at all. There are better things to spend money on than fancy bags, a nice option for those that are willing to pay for it but I'd rather spend team money on umps and tournament fees.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
If pitchers are requires to pay for catchers equipment, will the catcher help defray the cost of pitching lessons?
They aren't required to pay for catchers equiptment, we are talking about TEAM bags. I have a catcher and a pitcher. The catcher takes lessons also, so don't think pitchers are the only ones with additional costs.
But everytime the pitcher has a TEAMMATE to throw to behind the plate, they can be happy that the money for all those pitching lessons are being put to use other then in the backyard.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The use of team bags, seems to cut down on theft. Anyone can tell if someone is taking a bag that belongs to someone else.

I am hearing of more bats going missing from the back pack type bags, too. People can clearly see what bats you own and they are too tempting to a thief.

Plus, if you are a team that flies anywhere, you'll need your bats in a regular long bat bag, anyway.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have a different opinion then some. If you’re talking about a rec or town team, then no, I don’t think the players need the same bat bags. But, if you’re a TB team, then I think all players need the same bat bags or bat packs. It’s about image. Look good, feel good, play good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan