Dealing with unruly player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think the other girls on the team need to invite this player in question to a "Blanket Party" and let them sort it out amongst themselves. No need to get the parents involved.

Apr 6, 2017
Maybe ask her if she wants to play softball. I know Mom and Dad said she does, but does she really find out.

You'd think actually talking to her about her wants would've crossed my mind, but it didn't, lol. I had a talk with her about her attitude and not listening and when that didn't work I talked to her parents where I questioned her want to play. I'll be asking her tonight if she's really wanting to play.

May 4, 2016
You'd think actually talking to her about her wants would've crossed my mind, but it didn't, lol. I had a talk with her about her attitude and not listening and when that didn't work I talked to her parents where I questioned her want to play. I'll be asking her tonight if she's really wanting to play.

But did you ask her if she wants to play softball? You might have but you say you talked about attitude and not listening, not the same things.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you haven't already send an Email to the powers that be to let them know you are having an Issue, it should give you more flexible going forward.

1 player was driving my father nuts, if reached his limit he made them sit in the stands. I do not remember how it worked out for either of them but still find the visual funny.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

This is a critical factor. It's very possible that her parents want her to play, but she doesn't. If you can, have this conversation away from her parents and other players, with the reassurance that you won't be upset no matter what her answer is. If she isn't enjoying playing, trying to force it isn't going to bring the love...ever.

Apr 6, 2017
But did you ask her if she wants to play softball? You might have but you say you talked about attitude and not listening, not the same things.

Lol, no I haven't asked her yet. For some reason it didn't even cross my mind to ask her. I asked her parents, and it is highly likely that she's only playing because her Dad's side of the family is HUGE into sports.

Apr 6, 2017
This is a critical factor. It's very possible that her parents want her to play, but she doesn't. If you can, have this conversation away from her parents and other players, with the reassurance that you won't be upset no matter what her answer is. If she isn't enjoying playing, trying to force it isn't going to bring the love...ever.

If her answer happens to be no but her parents are still pushing her to play? It's not good for her as an individual or our team. But then what if she says she does want to play. Where would I go from there?

Oct 19, 2009
I coached a kid in rec years ago, she was expelled from school and attended alternative school. Read in the paper a few months back where she was arrested for a gang related shooting in Chattanooga, TN.

I tried to reach this kid through softball, but my efforts were met with back talk or eyes rolled. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi