Deaf-Mute Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Brother has a Deaf-Mute Player on his 12U TB Team. She has an interpreter at every game and practice. Our grandparents were also Deaf-Mute so brother knows some sign language but is a little (a lot) rusty.

First tourney was this weekend and she was looking at her interpreter in the stands not the coaches when running the bases.

It will be interesting, mostly my DD doesn’t hear a dang thing when she is on the bases (pitching, playing the field, etc.) anyways so I think it will work out great. She is a good ball player.

Edit:

Grammer correction.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Sorry but I just have to point out...by interrupter, do you mean interpreter?? ;-) Sounds to me like the interpreter needs to get the signs from the coaches so that she can watch the coaches for the base running and hitting signs. Also, on the field, whatever position she plays, other players should help her by using signs (like point up in air for pop up, or pat chest for "my ball", etc). I have often wondered how it would be to play...I am moderately to profoundly deaf myself but I don't use sign language (don't know it).

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I had a deaf girl play for me a couple years ago. Great kid. Softball is a game that can be enjoyed rather easily for the deaf. You need to practice just a bit. Don't change your signs, just make sure they are looking at you when you give them. Also, prior to the game, let the umps know. That way if the player is looking at them when batting, they know it is to see if it was a strike or not, and not questioning their call. We never had a problem. Also, most kids learn to read your lips. Just look at them and talk a little slower. It is a really awesome experience when you see the smile after a hit or scoring a run. They are looking at you for approval. They also can't hear mommy or daddy from the stands. That is always a plus.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had a deaf player probably, 30 years ago. They quickly learn "GO!" "Slide" and so on, just by your normal hand signals. To hear that she has an aid is marvelous.

Also, I would bring out my cell phone and show her a message, if I had much to say, that a pat on the back wouldn't convey.

I also, think this will really give your team a chance to communicate. (Show the number of outs, know the count and congratulate each other.)

Jul 26, 2010
Had one on one of my 12u rec teams years back. Pitcher. Awesome kid. Her dad always signed on to AC whatever team she played and he served as an interpreter. A lot of the kids, my dd included, picked up ASL and learned to talk. We also kept a small whiteboard and dry erase pen handy. We actually pulled some trick plays with her on base because her dad could communicate with her very well from afar.

She's still playing in HS now for the School for the Deaf. They're very competitive with the other private schools in their division.

-W

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Local pitcher is mostly deaf. She can converse verbally when there is no noise, but with game noise, it's all nonverbal. No problem in the circle nor at the plate. I'm sure they make some adjustments when she plays infield, but not that I've ever seen.
Her dad is totally deaf (and a good coach). He reads lips and speaks well enough to get in trouble with every umpire he comes across.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan