Dd's fall swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
What size bat did your DD use when she was 4?

26/15.5 Louisville Slugger TPX Omaha

Yes, we kept it. :)

Undergroundga - Don't even sweat it. Most of our DDs don't listen to us either, unless we pay a coach to tell them what we want to say to them. ha

Last edited:
May 31, 2009
I believe he said point her foot to the second baseman. That is the same direction you're saying when you say between first and second.

You're right, he did say that......i should have read it closer. I was thinking he said second base. Point her foot to second baseman is correct.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Great to hear she did so well. How did the hitting instructor manage to help her? Did he explain it differently, did he have her do something in particular, or was it just a case of coming from someone other than parent?

Oct 12, 2009
She has a nice...stride with separation. The timing is off but that will come. She comes down on her front toe and then naturally puts the heel down as she fires her swing.

I disagree and think this is a big reason why she is so arm-y.

She doesn't get any effective separation; what little separation she gets is killed by the pause between heel plant and the start of her swing. Some of that is a timing problem, but there are bigger issues involved here.

Her front toe is still pointing straight across. Maybe try having her point it at 2nd baseman as a first step to see if that helps.

I'd point her front toe down the first base line at most.

She's already prone to dragging and opening her front foot up could lead her to fan her front open and drag more.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Great to hear she did so well. How did the hitting instructor manage to help her? Did he explain it differently, did he have her do something in particular, or was it just a case of coming from someone other than parent?
I think the biggest difference between him doing it and me doing it would be the years of experience he has and the fact that he could walk her through it in a batting cage with live pitching instead of in my garage hitting off a tee. Him walking her through it was way better than I could do. I could show her on video, "Do this. Don't do that". and show her in slo motion how to do it, but my demonstration is prolly not perfect nor is my explaination.
She has a game tomorrow and I hope her new understanding shows, but we will see. Her first tb tourney is the end of OCT. and that's where I really hope it shows.
If I don't ruin it with our practice at home.:p

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I disagree and think this is a big reason why she is so arm-y.

She doesn't get any effective separation; what little separation she gets is killed by the pause between heel plant and the start of her swing. Some of that is a timing problem, but there are bigger issues involved here.

I'd point her front toe down the first base line at most.

She's already prone to dragging and opening her front foot up could lead her to fan her front open and drag more.

Post the Meg HR gif you love so much from your site and let's talk about her foot being "at most" down 1st.

You're absolutely right about opening the foot not necessarily fixing the bat drag. I said try it. It's also the right thing to do. Don't leave her striding with her foot straight across in fear of her keeping a problem she already has.

The hip can't open with the foot like that. Some times kids drag the bat because they're pulling the front shoulder. That's the not the case here. Some kids with no hip action drag the bat because as was pointed out quite often when the the hip doesn't get out of the way you almost always either cast, sweep, or drag the bat.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is what seperates hitting instructors from well meaning dad's. Within 15 min last night dd's hc had her keeping her hands up, getting in the connection position and leading, with her hips.Man was she blasting the ball. He came over and talked with us about it. I told him I had been trying to get her to do that for weeks but failing miserably. I know it'll take a lil while for muscle memory to pick it up but atleast I know now that she gets it. I'm trying my best to be helpful, but sometimes I feel like I do more damage practicing at home with dd than good.

Fact - DD's and GDD's are genetically predisposed to only hear a maximum of 50% of what their parents/grandparents say (technically, its known as PFCE aka 'parent frequency cancelling effect'). You probably could've been telling her the same exact thing as the HC, but the light bulb wouldn't have clicked.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
... but you're right about the setup Chris. I got fooled by that little pause move, she sort of drops the hands there and pauses, doesn't bring them back. Yes timing issues here too, but this girl is 8 and doing well. We've seen here before. She's going to be a good hitter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles