DD's 1st tryout - from rec to A ball??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
:) Mizunomp, I love people getting the opportunity to show others what they missed out on. 'Well done' to your DD.

I don't know where Mojo will be a year from now, but I agree that a team doesn't have to be loaded with stud talent and win a lot of games in order to give the young players what they need most in terms of development and personal growth at this age. I hadn't planned to pitch her very much during the spring season, but she'll be working against live batters frequently each week. My main objection to pitching her in rec is that the majority can't catch up to her speed. Maybe she could throw change-ups exclusively in games while maybe developing an off-speed pitch to use in rec games. I don't know. She wants to get plenty of work behind the plate, too, and can also count on more work in the outfield with me as her coach.

Mar 13, 2010
I think you've made the best decision for both her and your family.

I do want to point one thing out. I think there's going to come a point where you need to think very seriously over whether you want to coach or you want her to go further. From reading your posts the decision was made purely because of how it would affect you. There is aboustley nothing wrong with that (she is only eight ;-p) but in two/three years when that issue comes up again would you make the same decision?

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for that, Coach-n-Dad. And you're right. The pitching is very important to her and also to Mom, but I'm far less obsessive than most of the dads I see when it comes to their daughters' pitching, especially those parents who coach. I take her to all her lessons and have caught thousands of pitches in the backyard, but when it comes to the team, I have the same level of confidence in the other primary pitcher as I have in my DD. Mom wants her getting the majority of the innings, which is the reason *I* am in charge of all the on-field decisions. :)

In her life, I've never missed a single game. It would've been very weird for me having to miss her tournament games while I was with 1 of my rec teams (10u and for the time being, I also have a t-ball team). I thought about this in the decision process, but managed to rationalize that she'd play thousands of games, so it was ok to miss a few. Miss a game? Who is this person?? lol

Lots of credit to Mom - and NBC's 'Parenthood' - for bringing it all into perspective. It isn't just the kid who plays with her friends. We're friends with all the families not only of our own team, but of the other teams in our league as well. Like you said, there is going to come a time when she's playing ASA, but when we thought about all the relationships, we just weren't prepared to essentially break all those bonds at once in search of greener pastures....a process that was only set in motion because I got so p***** off at our league for dissolving a team last weekend.

We're glad that Mojo elected to honor her prior commitments. As a funny aside, during Field Work Day this morning, some of the parents and coaches asked about me moving up to coach 12u in a year or so. "Ha!" I said and then reminded them that I am a 10u coach (because that's what I do!). I don't do 8u and I don't do 12u. Once she gets to 12u, she's on her own, and I intend to be there to support her every step of the way from there. Thanks for the great post!

Feb 3, 2011
Lozza, you are so correct. Although I was willing to try to swing it, looking at the situation objectively, it would've been too difficult to get her everywhere on time, even for just the 5-month commitment. I was caught up in the excitement of the moment when the coach told us he would like to add her to their roster. I still consider it an honor for her, but I was caught off-guard, because it wasn't a real tryout. She was just going to work out with them. I'm already responsible for 2 teams, 1 of which was under the impression that Mojo's a full-time member of the team and #1 pitcher, even though I did not plan to use her in that capacity. I just couldn't realistically make the time necessary to make sure the new team was getting the on-time attendance dedication from her.

From her perspective, she and her buddies were so excited about returning as the core of the all-star team for this summer. At first, she was even more excited than we were about the offer, but didn't mind that we flipped overnight. It didn't take much to change her mind, though, which says a lot about her commitment to her friends and what she'd already signed up for.

A year from now, I'll exert myself more if there comes a situation when it's necessary to make sure that the rec softball experience for all our girls is being protected. If that's achieved, then she might be able to finish out her 10u rec 'career' in peace. :) Two years from now, though......the world is hers. I may still be on the league board, but my coaching clipboard will be hanging up for good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06