DD Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
And I can't see how the weighted sock drill will help.
Its supposed to be a "feel" drill.... not very effective IMO.
I'd prefer to use a weighted ball, and have them start in a basic K position and then allow her arm to fall and swing forward (dont let do of the ball)..... she'll feel a natural whip

Oct 4, 2018
In addressing the OP question of whats important in the beginning I believe IR has to be in place first before brush can occur. Brush just happens automatically when there is IR and a stacked vertical posture. IMO you should never have a pitcher actively try to brush but rather just coach a stacked posture and reinforce that if the the arm touches the side then that is a good thing not a bad thing. We have visited more than one HE pitching coach that advocated "making room" for the arm to pass by the hip. Even if misguided this is for good reason because if an HE pitcher tries to brush they will hurt themselves.

I feel the same.

And I think/have seen that BI is fairly easy to teach if the IR is in place. It's not too hard to introduce BI later, from what I've seen (in a handfull of girls). I could be wrong.

Ideally, yes -- they have IR and BI from the start. :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
This her the other day. Just focusing on trying to keep a bent or flexed arm and whip instead of bowl. I've been telling her not to stick her butt out but stay tall.

Couple quick things.

I'd use that line in the driveway as the front of the pitcher's rubber. Have her plant foot halfway across the line. Just a visual queue.

She seems to step back as part of her motion. All the pitching coaches we've used (all 2 of them) have the stride foot back prior to starting the motion.

Her stride is a bit weak, and then she doesn't get very open. Now she's young and a beginner so I don't feel it's a huge deal. But I watch some older girls who just seem to lazily step off the mound, rather than a powerful drive/stride. Pet peeve of mine when they don't look like they're using all their muscles and being powerful.

And as that push off the mound gets more powerful, it'll open up the shoulders and get you into position to really whip the ball.

1571068188742.png

Oct 2, 2017
Couple quick things.

I'd use that line in the driveway as the front of the pitcher's rubber. Have her plant foot halfway across the line. Just a visual queue.

She seems to step back as part of her motion. All the pitching coaches we've used (all 2 of them) have the stride foot back prior to starting the motion.

Her stride is a bit weak, and then she doesn't get very open. Now she's young and a beginner so I don't feel it's a huge deal. But I watch some older girls who just seem to lazily step off the mound, rather than a powerful drive/stride. Pet peeve of mine when they don't look like they're using all their muscles and being powerful.

And as that push off the mound gets more powerful, it'll open up the shoulders and get you into position to really whip the ball.

View attachment 15340

There was no focus on drive in any part of the session. It was simply a step and throw like during throw and catch. Granted she was trying a little more than a simple step. Below was what it was supposed to be. We haven't even started on any drive mechanics etc. simply trying to learn I/r. It was supposed to be like this below. Speaking of being open. Shouldn't the body (belly button) be about a 45deg open and upright to be able to feel brush.

Oct 2, 2017
I am trying to find some Rick Pauly videos that shows it better I think there is an accuspeed video that shows the deceleration needed for BI to happen. Your DD is still not brushing. Her upper arm never really slows down. And if you don’t have brush you cannot have good posture or whip. Telling her to stay tall and butt in is good however without brush her release point will still be less consistent. Again this is all JMO based on my DD’s progress but brush significantly changed and accelerated her progress. My opinion is doing these drills without brush happening is less than ideal. ‘Throw from pocket’ was a good cue for us and literally feeling the upper and lower arm touch the body is critical. Pull down ball up contact throw from packet.

I just watched some videos from Rich Balswick that gave me a better understanding the brushy that occurs and how it accelerates the hand forward. After watching that video, I see that some say to learn I/R first and then BI will occur naturally. I don't understand how I/R can even occur without brush.

Nov 8, 2018
Q. Can she do lock it in with contact?
Q. If so, can she do brush contact and IR at 9 o’clock. ?
Q. If she do brush contact and IR at 9 o’clock, can she do it from show it position?
Q. If she do it from show it position can she do IR and brush with full circle.

If she can’t get To full circle in a stationary position with proper IR And brush I would love her to stepping.

If she can then the first step drill would be 9 o’clock with a step.

Where is she at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
There was no focus on drive in any part of the session. It was simply a step and throw like during throw and catch. Granted she was trying a little more than a simple step. Below was what it was supposed to be. We haven't even started on any drive mechanics etc. simply trying to learn I/r. It was supposed to be like this below. Speaking of being open. Shouldn't the body (belly button) be about a 45deg open and upright to be able to feel brush.

Gotcha, it was a drill. Understood. Lower body did come later for us as well.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I just watched some videos from Rich Balswick that gave me a better understanding the brushy that occurs and how it accelerates the hand forward. After watching that video, I see that some say to learn I/R first and then BI will occur naturally. I don't understand how I/R can even occur without brush.

Internal Rotation is the arm turning inward towards the center of the body. If you start with palm up at 9 oclock and pull the arm down and pitch, you will invariably get an I/R motion. That does not mean that you will get the deceleration with brush that you need for speed and accuracy. Your DD has the I/R in her pitch she just doesn't have the brush and deceleration. All I am saying is that brushing and throwing from your pocket did not happen naturally for DD by just learning I/R, she had I/R with no brush (or limited). She had to make sure she felt the contact, and by feeling that contact it helped her make sure her posture was stacked, otherwise butt was way out with no contact. To get a pitcher used to that feel early and not be scared of contact helps. Again, JMO.

Oct 2, 2017
Internal Rotation is the arm turning inward towards the center of the body. If you start with palm up at 9 oclock and pull the arm down and pitch, you will invariably get an I/R motion. That does not mean that you will get the deceleration with brush that you need for speed and accuracy. Your DD has the I/R in her pitch she just doesn't have the brush and deceleration. All I am saying is that brushing and throwing from your pocket did not happen naturally for DD by just learning I/R, she had I/R with no brush (or limited). She had to make sure she felt the contact, and by feeling that contact it helped her make sure her posture was stacked, otherwise butt was way out with no contact. To get a pitcher used to that feel early and not be scared of contact helps. Again, JMO.
Thanks for the reply,makes sense to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13