DD Pitching video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
This is a back-flip change-up, and the first videos are of a curve-ball.

Thankz....a CU that dropped close to 16", had it been slower....That might explain also the jump at the end....her motion is in what I'll call Hyper Fakeout....So she is correct to turn both feet sideways....and to cause Resistance all with the lower half to slow the ball down, while giving the fast pitch intensity look.... :{)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thanks for all the input! It's always interesting to see how so many very knowledgeable people see different things.

She's never been nailed for an illegal pitch with the slide-and-step, but I'm always concerned.

Pitching mat is too small, her stride normally lands on the edge of it, so she just turns it around.

She used to have a really nice curve-ball. We worked really hard to develop a rise ball last fall, it works really well......but ever since then she's had a problem with the curve. PC says it will come back with work, he's seen it happen quite a bit; just getting her realizing the difference.

I've never seen the Power-push...but I like it! maybe I'll whip something together with 2x4's and we'll work on that.

Again, thanks everyone for the input!

:{)) I use a Velcro ankle brace with the ribs on both sides...try it first....no have her help you make it, then...having been warned she'll hate it...pull out the brace....paint the thing you make, and put it with her trophy's...

Jan 27, 2010
On her curve-ball, try to get her to relax her pitching shoulder. The only pitch you absolutely DO NOT want a strong or solid shoulder condition is a curve-ball. Injury but also it makes the pitch more effective and allows a whippier wrist snap. I have collected some .gif image videos of curve-ball pitches for you. You can copy and past in your URL address bar and they will open.

http://i56.tinypic.com/syxz7o.gif

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ujqaoh.gif
backdoor curve ball

http://i51.tinypic.com/2d6wgo3.gif

http://i53.tinypic.com/efox06.gif

I believe if you look close at release and the spin and break on the ball in the Ueno clip, she is throwing a "cut-across screwball". See how it peels off the fingertips.

Jan 27, 2010
I can see that ....also the drag foot is doing the same thing.....this is why the mat is backwards....I made my DD one just like it, and put...duck taped a piece of plastic tarp 2'x3' out about 1' from the rubber...or the area she drags in...making it extra slick, and cause her to straighten the rug. Even though the coach calls strikes, she is waiting like a kid finding Easter eggs to see how much wrinkle she left...when shes not infront of the mirror Also showed her some Ballet, and how they walk on there toes. Last week I was teaching amuch older girl who had never pitched,and just for fun ask her if she had seen Ballet, where they dance on there toes. She immanently went up on both toes, to the shock of both my daughter and myself...I asked did you take Ballet ??? She laughed and said "No... Michel Jackson"...

I call it the "Magic Carpet'...can't throw out all of our indoor practice this winter...had to make it work & worth while !!!

Perfect Circle, are you also teaching your DD to pitch? You mention you are teaching a much older girl.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Yes, tojo and a couple other girls....they are all 3 pitcher/catcher, and I find it easier to work in 3's....I'm lose to stand beside and watch....My DD is 9, plays on a 10u, the other 2 throw the 12"...so she gets the bigger ball in her hands. Her hands are the same size as the other older girls....She is being ready to maybe be called up for a 12u team in the org. They have had sickness....ect, so she is reading for a back up....She teaches the other girls by demonstration, and she has their respect....she is very skilled. :{))

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Some more video. Just working drills, specifically getting the foot to push off straight. Will work on the other stuff when this is right.

New video camera!

Throwing from 60ft.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have my catchers wear full equipment, and I try not to change the release point, by having them bounce the ball to the catcher. In other words release the same, aim at what would be the knees at normal distance, and let the ball land before the catcher. At the knees, knees, knees!

Jul 26, 2010
Looking at the first clip of Osterman, I'm surprised how few times the ball spins between release and catch. I know the video is in slow motion, but I still would have thought that she spins her curves more than that. Looks like maybe 4 revolutions?

The video is way too low speed to count the spins. Remember, when you video something you're looking at it with a strobelight on. Most video is 30 frames per second, movies are 24 frames per second. Video recorded on a TV and then imported to a computer is even worse. You're seeing a strobe effect, which can even make the ball appear to rotate backwards.

I'm not saying that you're wrong in your analysis, only that if you're only using the video provided, then you do not have the data to reach that conclusion.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles