DD making some progress with Bill Hillhouse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
I use Coaches Eye and all of these videos was filmed with it or my Canon 60D. I noticed her pivot foot leaving the floor but I think that is due to the surface she is pitching from and no mound to push off of. Had to use indoor practice gym due to weather outside.
I really appreciate all of the input I receive from you guys and don't feel like your nit picking. We know she has things to work on and that is why I posted the videos. DD plays high level travel and tournaments start in March so we hope she will have a much better grasp of these changes by then.

Jun 18, 2010
Another thing I noticed is as she strides, she doesn't allow her pivot leg to externally rotate to aid in the hips opening. Look at Amandas pivot leg how as she strides, she initially drags off the inside of her big toe, and look how her knee/thigh open, then IR back as she finishes up on her toe. Replicating this move Amanda does, may help your DD get her hips open a little more.

Amanda_powerdrive_pitchingx_zps7d32e1e0.gif

AR1_zps4d86bab1.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm sorry, but I'm confused...........

This is her just 3 short months ago correct? Where is this hideous "Hello Elbow" delivery?

I'm watching about 10 straight pitches in this clip where she finishes at the opposite shoulder and her elbow snaps "out" on every one of them..........Just like she learning from Bill???........

I guess I'm not following............If "elbow snap" is her goal........It looks to me like she's already got all she needs..........

Good observation .....

25iynip.gif

Jul 14, 2008
I agree with you guys about the difference between my DD pitching in a game versus lessons. Whip action is much more natural for her and that is generally what you saw in games and HE in Practice. I think she already has a good understanding of the arm whip but she still forces it because of the HE instruction she has received for the past four years. The biggest problem she has is getting open and more leg drive and relaxing of the shoulders. All of these are hard to break because HE teaches you to be very stiff, stay closed and step not leap and drag.

This video was taking after her first lesson with Bill...Side view

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wAAVtiFTRmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I understand now that your DD's former instructor was trying to teach her NOT to allow I/R and whip to happen and you recognized that, and you made a change. And you're also hoping Bill can help her with leg drive and getting open more.........

Thx for the clarification Red.

I'm still a little confused on the "elbow snap" that I'm told Bill teaches.......But that's ok.........I don't have to understand it......

His students do.........

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
Knighsb - I like your observations. I believe a little more front side resistance would be beneficial. Both have some glove swim but IMO it doesn't have a negative impact on their pitching.
I would study Amanda's relaxed follow through. I don't teach the elbow snap so I'll take a pass on that.

Jul 14, 2008
From what I get from Bill's video series, "Elbow Snap" is his term for "Arm Whip".

Hmmmm........Ya ok........So this clip has "elbow snap"?

So if you had to describe "elbow snap" in simple bio-mechanical terms........What would it be? The term "whip" is pretty generic..........

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw

So if you had to describe "elbow snap" in simple bio-mechanical terms........What would it be? The term "whip" is pretty generic..........

If you don't mind me jumping in----my guess would be that Bill's use of "elbow snap" is in contrast to the "wrist snap" he doesn't like. His big emphasis is on follow through across the body (hence, from the elbow), instead of a wrist snap and HE follow through. IOW, I think he specifically uses "elbow snap" as a cue to have it do something contrary to what most girls are taught. Just my 2 cents.

Feb 7, 2013

BM - this isn't my term nor do I think it effectively describes the arm whip action, I am just telling you how Bill describes it on his 4 videos that I own. As you know, he is a simple guy and uses simple terms to describe pitching mechanics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet