DD making some progress with Bill Hillhouse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
That was a good post, BM. Reminds me of the hilarity on the hitting forum with a bunch of old fogies debating the meaning of words, all the while forgetting that there is some kid holding a bat wanting to be a better player.

-W

Apr 25, 2010
With Bill, whip and snap are the same thing. He wants the girls to understand that it is a crucial part of the pitching sequence. As long as he is explaining the movement that he is looking for, who cares what he calls it? I wouldn't care if he called it creamed chipped beef, as long as he is relating to my child and teaching her in the manner she learns best, helping her to be the best pitcher she can be. And thus far, they are accomplishing that mission.

Jun 13, 2009
I think another important point that should be made is Bill demonstrates everything as he's explaining it. So if a particular word or phrase or terminology doesn't seem to be registering there is also the visual aspect that helps with all of that. In our experiences he has interchanged the words with and snap now that I think about it. My daughter understands and tries to do it but it's still a work in progress. For her being able to see it is equally important as the words being used. Between the two things it's pretty clear the motion that he's trying to get across.

One thing I remember quite vividly that impressed me about him when we begin lessons was, he made a point to tell her that she is not being rude or disrespectful if she asks why or how or what or when or where or any of the appropriate questions. If something didn't register or didn't make sense he asked her to tell him so he could explain it another way. that was very comforting in the beginning to hear because my daughter is very shy and would do whatever was told of her regardless of if she thought it made sense or not. But giving her the freedom to be able to ask why without feeling that the coach is being challenged really helped her with understanding everything a lot easier. I'm sure there are others who do the same thing but this was the first time we have experienced a coach make a point of telling her to speak up if something wasn't making sense or whatever. That might seem like a small thing to someone who is reading this but it was huge for my daughter. And it added to the reasons why she absolutely loves going to see him.
Cg

Jul 14, 2008
With Bill, whip and snap are the same thing. He wants the girls to understand that it is a crucial part of the pitching sequence. As long as he is explaining the movement that he is looking for, who cares what he calls it? I wouldn't care if he called it creamed chipped beef, as long as he is relating to my child and teaching her in the manner she learns best, helping her to be the best pitcher she can be. And thus far, they are accomplishing that mission.

First know that I respect all of you (except Screwball of course).......So don't think otherwise.............I'M TRYING TO LEARN.........

But this is yet ANOTHER POST with absolutely ZERO CONTENT about what "snap" or "whip" means...........

How the heck are you supposed to reinforce what is being taught with ZERO understanding of WHAT is being taught.......

The answer MUST BE.......You Aren't supposed to reinforce ANYTHING but ARM CIRCLES........Keeping your mouth shut because you have NO IDEA what it is that's being taught..........Or how to insure things are progressing properly between lessons..........

So PLEASE........NO ONE ELSE respond to me with "who cares".......Or with some generic statement that "whip and snap are the same thing"...........Without telling me what the heck those 2 things ACTUALLY MEAN and HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THEM.......

If I don't get a response with SOME explanation of how "elbow snap" or "elbow whip" are supposed to work.........I'll just assume NO ONE KNOWS........And continue to ponder how something can be so elusive in definition, but can be a "staple" of someone's instruction........

Amazing..........

Mar 28, 2013
First know that I respect all of you (except Screwball of course).......So don't think

otherwise.............I'M TRYING TO LEARN.........

But this is yet ANOTHER POST with absolutely ZERO CONTENT about what "snap" or "whip" means...........

How the heck are you supposed to reinforce what is being taught with ZERO understanding of WHAT is being taught.......

The answer MUST BE.......You Aren't supposed to reinforce ANYTHING but ARM CIRCLES........Keeping your mouth shut because you have NO IDEA what it is that's being taught..........Or how to insure things are progressing properly between lessons..........

So PLEASE........NO ONE ELSE respond to me with "who cares".......Or with some generic statement that "whip and snap are the same thing"...........Without telling me what the heck those 2 things ACTUALLY MEAN and HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THEM.......

If I don't get a response with SOME explanation of how "elbow snap" or "elbow whip" are supposed to work.........I'll just assume NO ONE KNOWS........And continue to ponder how something can be so elusive in definition, but can be a "staple" of someone's instruction........

Amazing..........

Ok, Ill step in here. LOL,I think when you are trying to get across the notion of whip it is not something you can describe with a
definition heavy on mechanics. you wind up with what I see in these videos which just looks stiff and generally an un athletic pitch. To me when I work with my pitchers I work very hard with them on what it FEELS like to get power from IR. How it feels to be loose and athletic so you get used to using your small quick muscles and not the big slow ones.Once they understand the feeling of how you throw hard while staying loose many other things you look for fall into place.The mechanics are the roots of the success and need to be taught but they are far from being the whole tree . the rest of the tree is mental training and needs to be perfected by each individual pitcher in there own way. I believe you are right BM like allot of things, you cant describe it but you know it when you see it.

Jul 14, 2008
Lol.......Thx Bucket.......

I give up and the term "elbow snap" and "elbow whip".........I'm going to assume it really doesn't mean anything except: "stay loose"........

Which is pretty much something everyone would tell a pitcher.........Even the worst PC in the world would use that phrase......

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Maybe now that the piss'n match is over I will go back to the original post. Red, I think she looks great. I do notice her glove hand swimming out some and closing a hair soon. I know Bill probably discussed with her wanting to see 1 shoulder, 1 leg, and glove point straight ahead and come down to her side without slapping her leg. Heck he might have even put his glove over his mouth and asked "can you hear me now?" or told her not to hate him because he was beautiful. :) You can't help but enjoy yourself at his lessons. Thanks for the videos , they were very enjoyable to watch. My DD only 10 and still has a long ways to go but it looks like your daughter has a lot of things going her way with her pitching.

Jun 13, 2009
Heck he might have even put his glove over his mouth and asked "can you hear me now?" or told her not to hate him because he was beautiful. :)

my DD (literally) looks online trying to find "come backs" for Bill's wit. And yet, every time he stumps her. You're right Coach, it's a lot of fun. My DD works hard because she really likes Bill and really wants his approval. He's so good with kids.

cg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67