DD in a funk any suggestions to get her out of it.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
Many times coaches will post "open tryouts, all positions open", etc to keep the girls motivated and working hard. Some times it is actually the case, many times its not.

On another topic to the same situation, and please don't take this the wrong way. But I understand what you're saying to mean that she basically is feeling betrayed and had her feelings hurt because she again has to earn her spot on the team? Again, not trying to insult or presume how or what you teach your DD, but it doesn't matter whether it is softball, school, a job or any number of other situations she will encounter....there is always someone who wants what you have. Hard work is never something that you can have too much of or build up reserves of. You want to stay at the top, it never stops. Sounds like you are approaching this from a softball standpoint, and may possibly need to use it as a life lesson.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
CJ D is absolutely correct.

You need to have a talk with your DD and explain sports and life.

(1) There will always be somebody trying to take your DD's spot. And, if she doesn't perform, she should lose her spot. That is what competition is all about.
(2) The coaches only care about performance. If someone performs better than your DD, then the other person should get the job over your DD. That is life.
(3) If she doesn't like the competition, she should find something else to do in her spare time.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Nearly every team will post, and nearly every team will need two to 15 new players. Tryouts are hard-intense, new people, pressure, etc. I suggest taking her to practice only when she asks.. If she blows a tryout she may learn from it, she may not, but at some point she is responsible for her effort.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Many times coaches will post "open tryouts, all positions open", etc to keep the girls motivated and working hard. Some times it is actually the case, many times its not.

On another topic to the same situation, and please don't take this the wrong way. But I understand what you're saying to mean that she basically is feeling betrayed and had her feelings hurt because she again has to earn her spot on the team? Again, not trying to insult or presume how or what you teach your DD, but it doesn't matter whether it is softball, school, a job or any number of other situations she will encounter....there is always someone who wants what you have. Hard work is never something that you can have too much of or build up reserves of. You want to stay at the top, it never stops. Sounds like you are approaching this from a softball standpoint, and may possibly need to use it as a life lesson.

amen brother. Great life lesson here.

Jul 2, 2013
For those who have been reading my posts, I am happy to report, my DD is "back in the game", after taking the summer off. First break in 3 years, though she took breaks when 13, and 9. Same thing always, about 3 months, and she is ready to get back after it again. To play with a high level 18U team.

I post here because, possibly like the poster here, these girls get burnt out. It is scary at first for the parent. They are afraid the DD will not come back. What happens, and I know from experience, by taking a break, the players return and are now playing for "themselves" instead of for their parents.

Super pumped because my DD IS BACK !!!! Not much help for the poster here, but to give perspective.

Jul 6, 2013
That may what you say about softball. But sorry, both of my DDs know that their spot can be taken at any point they decide to quit giving me the effort. As a matter of fact, I don't know of a parent or coach who has the opinion that you earn a spot and then it's just yours regardless of whether someone else outperforms you...especially going into a new season. Maybe I'm just lucky in that regard.

And if someone is taking your promotion at work or you're not getting paid what you want because you're being lazy or have a bad attitude...shame on you....and shame on those responsible for teaching you the work ethic that you do not possess. Not only do I think you shouldn't get that promotion, but I think they ought to replace you with someone who is eager, willing, and ready to work.

Jun 24, 2013

Tell her this:
Life is like one big gigantic treadmill. If you stop walking you will get pushed to the back and eventually fall off. If you do not want to be in the back and smell the passed gas from those in front of you, then you need to work hard to get to the front and maintain the pace that will keep you there. If someone passes you, you need to pick up your pace or be content with them passing you.

Jul 6, 2013
Now the team is having tryouts posting all spots open and told all the kids that they would have to earn their place back on the team when they have been told all season that they did not want to do tryouts. DD is or was one of the hardest workers on the team.........The problem I am having is that when we go to the field to practice she is completely out of it and could careless. I ask if she want to take the fall season off or quit all together and her answer is always no but attitude and hustle is not there the way it was before she was told she had to re-tryout with the most recent team.

OILF, read the OP again.

Aug 8, 2011
My 16u daughter played last year for one of those coaches that sucked the fun out of softball. This year she switched teams and has been totally rejuvenated. Sometimes a change of scenery is required.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
For those who have been reading my posts, I am happy to report, my DD is "back in the game", after taking the summer off. First break in 3 years, though she took breaks when 13, and 9. Same thing always, about 3 months, and she is ready to get back after it again. To play with a high level 18U team.

I post here because, possibly like the poster here, these girls get burnt out. It is scary at first for the parent. They are afraid the DD will not come back. What happens, and I know from experience, by taking a break, the players return and are now playing for "themselves" instead of for their parents.

Super pumped because my DD IS BACK !!!! Not much help for the poster here, but to give perspective.

I'm glad to hear it. My DD also played 18U. She's been off for a year since the team she'd been with for 4 years broke up. She decided a week ago that she no longer wishes to play. No HS, no travel, no college. (MO plays HS Fall) My DH and I are still getting used to it. She hasn't had much of a break the last few years with college camps in her off season. We're hoping she just needs a break and will at least play her senior year of HS. Her coaches have been very understanding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00