DD hitting drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2008
There is alot to like about this swing. Very nice bat speed. If you are looking for suggestions Some separation of her hands from her body when she loads will make that swing even faster. Tell her nice job and to keep up the good work.

Tim

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
Tim
Thanks for input and advice. Had pretty good season last year until last couple tournys. Had more swings and misses. I think it got to be more mental than anything (Pressing).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Agree with Bouldersdad ... try to load the top hand (rear upper arm) rearward as the hips are coiled forward. The current swing lacks 'stretch' (also lacks 'coil'). What she was doing in that regard with the one-arm top-hand swings was carried into her regular two-arm swings.

axk96w.gif

2vmad6x.gif

Oct 25, 2009
Tossing the ball too far out front.

In case this was taken lightly, consider how she stretches and reaches, without a coil, for the ball. With the correct coil, she wouldn't have been able to reach the ball without losing connection.

Visualize letting the ball get deeper and what effect it would have on the mechanics. Most of the swings a batter does is from a tee or some form of soft toss. It's therefore very important that the point of contact is emphasized.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks! I can show her this on video and work on it.

Good. Right now she brings her upper rear arm with her as she moves her hips/tailbone forward. I'd rather see her create a 'stretch'. Visualize an elastic between the rear hip and rear shoulder ... or if you can, between the rear hip and the top hand. You want to get that elastic somewhat taut as the hips/tailbone are brought forward.

As an FYI ... when I say load the hands 'rearward' ... that rearward is not towards the catcher ... I'm talking about the "up & IN" action ... it's more like turning up the rear elbow, or rear upper arm, in ... it's like bringing the rear upper arm towards the third-base coach for a right-handed hitter.

One more thing. Your daughter has her hands "high" in her stance. That will make it more difficult for her to capture the "up & IN" loading of the hands rearward as she moves her hips/tailbone forward. So as you work through this ... test having a stance in which her hands are lower ... towards the height of her arm-pit ... and see if she can't develop the "up & IN" action from there.

One last thought for you .... a hand-pump like action can provide a means of keeping the hands back while the hips/tailbone move forward ... a 'hitch' like action. Just something else to consider here as you work your way through this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00