DD Getting Told To "Squish The Bug"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
It's like you've been to one of the clinics! Howard says this very thing at his clinics. It isn't that the girls can't do the things were showing them, but that they haven't been shown how. BTW, who ever said the girls were "physically challenged"?

"Physically challenged" is perhaps a poor choice of words. Sorry. It's just incredibly frustrating to be a parent and have people say my daughter can't do certain movements simply because she is a female. Especially when I know she can do them. Obviously not as good or as efficient as a MLB player, but the basic action is the same.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
No one stated they were physically challenged, but males take many of the things we have learned for granted when teaching females.

Don't know why you make statements like this. As Knudson stressed ... never do anything at the expense of balance ... and Knudson was a "male", who didn't take the topic for granted in teaching males or females. I recently added a new 'male' hitter to my schedule ... trust me, boys also need to be taught balance ... the subject matter is not reserved for girls.

Oct 25, 2009
Don't know why you make statements like this. As Knudson stressed ... never do anything at the expense of balance ... and Knudson was a "male", who didn't take the topic for granted in teaching males or females. I recently added a new 'male' hitter to my schedule ... trust me, boys also need to be taught balance ... the subject matter is not reserved for girls.

Exactly!

This over-emphasis on female "differences" seems to have a commercial tone.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FSS: Does your daughter balance differently than your son ?

Does the female spine look more erect than the male spine which is tilted forward?

Is the females center of gravity different? Of course balance is needed by male or females however how you teach balance is different. Look at how the sacrum, the mounting point is different and then ask why.

The females land 5 times their body weight and a male lands 2.5 times their body weight. Why?

Does the female glutes fire the knee the same in a male as a female?

It is how we teach and how they learn that makes certain coaches more successful when teaching girls a ballistic movement so they do not get hurt since they are pre disposed to ACL issues.

Most females tend to land flat footed as they stride because most coaches do not understand they usually land more on the outside edge of the foot and must be taught eversion to become more efficient in their mechanics. Look at how your daughter lands flat footed.

Do boys have laxity in the 10 to 14 day of their menstrual cycle in their shoulders, ACL's and ankles?

Now ponder the differences Chris, that is all we ask.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
FSS: Does your daughter Megan balance differently than your son Richard?

Does the female spine look more erect than the male spine which is tilted forward?

Is the females center of gravity different? Of course balance is needed by male or females however how you teach balance is different. Look at how the sacrum, the mounting point is different and then ask why.

The females land 5 times their body weight and a male lands 2.5 times their body weight. Why?

Does the female glutes fire the knee the same in a male as a female?

It is how we teach and how they learn that makes certain coaches more successful when teaching girls a ballistic movement so they do not get hurt since they are pre disposed to ACL issues.

Most females tend to land flat footed as they stride because most coaches do not understand they usually land more on the outside edge of the foot and must be taught eversion to become more efficient in their mechanics. Look at how your daughter lands flat footed.

Do boys have laxity in the 10 to 14 day of their menstrual cycle in their shoulders, ACL's and ankles?

Now ponder the differences Chris.

What do we teach them to do differently than boys during those 10 to 14 days? What do we teach boys to do differently? Or does it even matter?

Has anyone noticed that there are athletic females and non-athletic females? Same as with boys. I have seen many females that could never master the skills needed for sport. Same with many males.

I wonder how many studies took athletic builds into consideration. I know Caitlin Lowe can outperform me at any level but not because my ACLs are stronger.

We're beating a dead horse. It makes a good commercial but it doesn't have much significance.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What do we teach them to do differently than boys during those 10 to 14 days? What do we teach boys to do differently? Or does it even matter?

Has anyone noticed that there are athletic females and non-athletic females? Same as with boys. I have seen many females that could never master the skills needed for sport. Same with many males.

I wonder how many studies took athletic builds into consideration. I know Caitlin Lowe can outperform me at any level but not because my ACLs are stronger.

We're beating a dead horse. It makes a good commercial but it doesn't have much substance.

I know a boy I recently picked up has the same 'bug squishing' issue that many of the girls I picked up earlier this winter had. I don't follow SBF's example on eversion ... as eversion of the rear foot was completely bypassed in this boy's lower body mechanics. I didn't find myself saying "you are boy, therefore you will learn about eversion differently" ... nope, I gave the kid the same lesson, the same homework, and the same milestone ... and this evening I'll check his progress in that regard.

Your comments on athleticism are well taken. I try to promote speed and agility training with the hitters I work with ... telling them that there is a lot to be said for the quote of "build the athlete first". Obviously I want hitters working on both ... their athleticism and their hitting mechanics.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
well-

regardless of boy or girl, I think of hip cock as having both coil and balance aspects. the coil part is what you are dealing with with the metronomic hip action. the balance part is best explained by the spine engine and Dixon torso concepts. the torso moving the center of mass is what triggers balance control/supporting limb and core motions.
Dixon cues like torso activation, offcenter balance, front leg lift/suspension, forward by turning,etc are all important.

head positon as a weight is important and of course, the brain and inner ears are important, but that5 does not mean the head controls balance.

all high level/total body patterns involve this balance/"posture", but there are still very different high level options with MLB being at the end of the spectrum where the rear hip is the lower body motor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal