DD getting hit while pitching..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2012
My DD pitches for a 10 and under TB team. She took a hard hit to the chest . She was wearing a heart guard. After a trip to the ER , they said every thing was fine she would be sore .I think she is really scared to go back out. How do you handle this. I don't want to force her to play. I'm scared too. :(

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Ouch, that's the one thing that scares the heck out of me as a pitchers Dad.

If she wants to be a pitcher she will want to get back out there. Keep practicing as if nothing happened; make SURE she is learning how to defend her position (self) when finishing the pitch.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Wow that sounds painful. This is a tough one I would say get back into it at her speed and be sure to work on her reaction to the ball and try to get her to to get use to being in a defensive as quick as possible after a pitch.

Apr 29, 2012
I feel your pain. Same thing happened to my daughter a few weeks ago. She pitches on a 10u club team and rec team. During a rec game, a girl ripped a line drive right back at her. I won't say she caught it. More like it got lodged between her forearm and abdomen. She was upset and frightened. She wears the Evoshield chest protector which I highly recommend, but she was not wearing a facemask, which she thought she did not need in rec games. After the game I simply told her that "if you pitch long enough, it is going to happen." I also reinforced the importance of the facemask. Since then there have been no problems. I don't bring it up and she has pitched without a problem in several games, both club and travel. Granted all DD's are different, but I would not dwell on the incident. I would follow your normal routines for practice and warm-ups. Good luck!

3sDad

One thing...she will either want to go back or not...it happens, probably happen again...one of those 'Get back on the Horse things...or not"?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I was hit in the facemask, I was about 55 and had played all of my life. It felt like I had been in a car wreck. I was surprised that it took me several days to feel the same, emotionally. You certainly think a lot about what "could have happened."

This reminds me to hit my students more line drives, but even that might not have helped your DD. Until you have experienced this for yourself, you cannot imagine how fast the ball hits you.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Last season one of the pitchers on my DD's TB team took a line drive off her rip-it facemask. I hate to think what would have happened if she was not wearing it, because it still blackened her eye and she looked like she had been hit by Mike Tyson.....anyway, she pitched one time after that and decided to give up pitching.

Dec 2, 2010
Same exact thing happened this weekend to my daughter. She said she didn`t even see it coming. She`s small , under 60 lbs and only a 3rd grader but throws very hard. Some of the girls we play easily weigh twice that. I`ve never been out of the dugout and on the field so fast in my life. Knocked the wind out of her so she couldn`t even cry. Yes, I agree VERY scary.
She wears a rip-it but might look into the Enviroshield also. Next day she did say she didn`t want to pitch anymore but told her the odds of it happening again are low and the soreness is going away and she`s been throwing well. 5gg tournamnet this weekend so we`ll see. Agree with what Way2be says...try not to dwell on it and get back to normal routine. AND work on being in a position to field the ball after release even though this one was hit so hard I think it would have dropped even the best fielding pitcher.

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
12U DD took one on the shin last year and one on the shoulder from a 16U player during winter indoor.
After the shin shot, she was ready to practice after the 1.5 hour drive home. After the shoulder shot
it was a week off. We talked "shop" during the week off, but didn't force anything on her. When she
asked when her next lesson was, we knew she was ready.

She pitched great in 2 scrimmages so far this year (first year of 14U). She looks very confident in the
circle, not so much batting though. She is too tough to admit she is afraid of the ball, but I've never
seen her so hesitant in the batter's box.

Ultimately, the decision is up to her. The worst thing you can do is force the issue.

I can definately see a rule making a mask mandatory for 16U and under pitcher's and possibly
all infielder's coming soon. Right or wrong, I would not argue with this rule.

If I ever coached a team, it would be mandatory for all infielders, not open for discussion.

I have a small heart attack every time I see a line drive back to any pitcher. My prayers go
out to all pitcher's and hope for a safe and successful season and career in the circle.

Sister61, good luck with your DD. We all hope she "Get's Back on the Horse" soon!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan