DD committed to University of Iowa tonight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Been a fantastic journey for sure and a relief to know where she's going to be playing.

Sep 17, 2009
Congrats, CM, awesome. Would you mind sharing her recruiting story (if not, no worries), what do you think got her the gig? : >

Feb 14, 2010
Anything I can do to help others I will without hesitation.

Iowa started tracking Brooke last year @ ASA 16A Nationals. We decided that she needed to play the best the country had to offer so we made the move to a very prominent Gold/Premiere in our area. IMO you need to get a "name" program if you want to play D1 softball. Brooke's current coach has ties to college coaches that blew my mind. At every game we had at least 10 big D1's watching us and that's how Brooke really caught the coaches eyes.

Once she got a schools attention they would invite her to their "Elite" camp and she would go against their other top recruits, very important piece. If you get an invite, GO.

You have to get the coaches watching your games and you better do something to WOW em while they are there. Every coach we talked too preached they are looking for pitchers and hitters and they will sort out the rest. So my biggest advice is get on a bigtime team and play against the best. We drive almost 3hrs one way weekly for practice but it's definitely worth it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Might be too personal a question, if so I understand. Guess I'm nosey, but I like to hear and compare who gets what for information to prospective players traveling down that road.

What offer did she get athletic + acedemic %? I know some have to pre-guess all acedemic $$ until SAT/ACT/GPA are done closer to graduation.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Crankermo & Brooke,
We ( Laura) are so happy for you both. We wish her much success now and in the future. Keep us posted.

Feb 14, 2010
GoingDeep,

I won't go into exact numbers but I will say that Brooke's offer is normally what a stud pitcher @ that level receives, we are extremely blessed. Her scholarship is all athletic no academic, but with the other schools that were recruiting her the offers ranged from 35-50% athletic and depending on ACT/SAT & GPA scores she could qualify for instate tuition. Academics are very important and luckily Brooke never had any issues with that part if needed.

I'm sure your already aware but pitchers get most of the money and catchers are next with SS probably next. Like I said in another post colleges are looking for legit power hitters. Had one coach tell us that if you can hit me 20HRs, you are going to start for me even if you can't throw or field, lol.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
This is what makes you a Hawkeye:
crankerddhr_zps386b15ea.gif

I've seen them twice this year. A couple girls with some power, (I made a comment a week ago about a thinner girl getting coiled in her rear hip on deck, then taking the second pitch yard), but what really stood out was their athleticism and speed.

Looper seems to be as good a coach as they get...plus with Stacy May....

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
GoingDeep,

I won't go into exact numbers but I will say that Brooke's offer is normally what a stud pitcher @ that level receives, we are extremely blessed. Her scholarship is all athletic no academic, but with the other schools that were recruiting her the offers ranged from 35-50% athletic and depending on ACT/SAT & GPA scores she could qualify for instate tuition. Academics are very important and luckily Brooke never had any issues with that part if needed.

I'm sure your already aware but pitchers get most of the money and catchers are next with SS probably next. Like I said in another post colleges are looking for legit power hitters. Had one coach tell us that if you can hit me 20HRs, you are going to start for me even if you can't throw or field, lol.

Thanks, so much. All of our girls have signed or committed this year, but I'm trying to keep mental notes for the younger girls to give my 2 cents when they reach that time. It's always interesting to hear the offers and the process, as they've been so different with each division and position played.

At least now you can sit back and relax..........some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck