DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As an interested onlooker, I have a question, if the main combatants would be so kind:

Do both "sides" agree that we are talking about two different, distinct swing models here? Yes or No? The alternative, which I find frustrating, is the idea that there is one swing model but a right and a wrong way of describing it.

TKS!

What you are reading are different approaches to the same objective.

Nov 11, 2012
Show me the beef....

I honestly have no idea what the purpose of this post is. Was it to show that you have a hard time fixing bat drag? Was it to show that lock and turn doesn't fix bat drag? That you can fix bat drag on a tee with lock and turn but under the stress of a game it doesn't work?

I teach to be able to hit in a game. I can careless whether they can hit off of a tee or not. As long as they look good in the game.

Odd post for me.

I would hope they would be one or two people reading these posts who would understand why I posted some of my experiences with trying to help people deal with the bat drag problem.

The other bat drag "experts" here have presented nothing more than a few simplistic cues, claims of success and some clips of Ted Williams with nothing to substantiate their experience (expertise?) dealing with bat drag.

And anyone who really understands what causes bat drag will also understand why it's so difficult to correct, and correcting goes far beyond simply getting the bottom hand elbow to "behave".

Enough said.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
As an interested onlooker, I have a question, if the main combatants would be so kind:

Do both "sides" agree that we are talking about two different, distinct swing models here? Yes or No? The alternative, which I find frustrating, is the idea that there is one swing model but a right and a wrong way of describing it.

TKS!

Glad your interested Rich, I thought it fizzled about 200 post ago. The answer that helped this girls swing was in the 3rd post. Now 417 posts later......

R

RayR

Agree RichK. Handcentric vs something else (not sure what they would call it)

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I would hope they would be one or two people reading these posts who would understand why I posted some of my experiences with trying to help people deal with the bat drag problem.

The other bat drag "experts" here have presented nothing more than a few simplistic cues, claims of success and some clips of Ted Williams with nothing to substantiate their experience (expertise?) dealing with bat drag.

And anyone who really understands what causes bat drag will also understand why it's so difficult to correct, and correcting goes far beyond simply getting the bottom hand elbow to "behave".

Enough said.

Bat drag is not difficult to fix. You are aparently are the only one who finds it dificult to fix.

To me it hs nothing to do with the bottom elbow. Who said it did? Oh, that is you. Pujols, at times, gets his bottom elbow in front without drag. Pull on tbe knob down the length of the bat and you will create drag.

Now, enough said.

May 16, 2010

TKS!

I would say, "No." What are the two models that you think exist? Everything I state, refers to the fundamental moves that exist in every MLB swing. That is the model I'm talking about. There are different stances, and different styles, but they all execute the same fundamental principles. All-star and HOF hitters have the principles refined and honed to the most efficient level.

IMO, the problem in this "technical hitting" forum is that people who have little to none, technical knowledge, argue with those who do. It's like someone who doesn't know what an atom is; walking into a college chemistry class and arguing with the professor that water is not made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. Then when the professor tries to educate them, they continue to deny that his info is correct.

Some people post here and argue the physics and bio-mechanics from a position of complete ignorance of the subjects, with people who have knowledge of those subjects. It baffles me.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here's an alternative fix to solving bat drag to consider - teach them to throw with sound overhand throwing mechanics. Once they grasp that the lower body starts the process and feel that controlled back to front momentum transfer and are shown that it not only applies to throwing but also hitting, the upper body portion of the swing cleans up pretty quickly. Look at the OP's improvement, I don't think that it would've happened without the lower body improving first.

R

RayR

Jim, what would like to discuss as it relates to hitting a pitched ball? I ask this every time you go off on one your Napoleon Complex episodes....Can you not understand how getting a player to use her hands more efficiently will get the bat around quicker and give her a better chance at hitting the ball? And that the brain is magnificent thing in that it will organize all the muscles in your body to support a simple goal of moving a bat to hit a moving ball....similar to how you wouldn't think about how you would bend over and sit on the john....you just do it and never once have you missed and hit the floor....

Stop trying to make this darn thing so complicated....

I would say, "No." What are the two models that you think exist? Everything I state, refers to the fundamental moves that exist in every MLB swing. That is the model I'm talking about. There are different stances, and different styles, but they all execute the same fundamental principles. All-star and HOF hitters have the principles refined and honed to the most efficient level.

IMO, the problem in this "technical hitting" forum is that people who have little to none, technical knowledge, argue with those who do. It's like someone who doesn't know what an atom is; walking into a college chemistry class and arguing with the professor that water is not made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. Then when the professor tries to educate them, they continue to deny that his info is correct.

Some people post here and argue the physics and bio-mechanics from a position of complete ignorance of the subjects, with people who have knowledge of those subjects. It baffles me.

May 16, 2010
Jim, what would like to discuss as it relates to hitting a pitched ball? I ask this every time you go off on one your Napoleon Complex episodes....Can you not understand how getting a player to use her hands more efficiently will get the bat around quicker and give her a better chance at hitting the ball? And that the brain is magnificent thing in that it will organize all the muscles in your body to support a simple goal of moving a bat to hit a moving ball....similar to how you wouldn't think about how you would bend over and sit on the john....you just do it and never once have you missed and hit the floor....

Stop trying to make this darn thing so complicated....

I understand everything that you say. But, it seems that you often don't understand what I say.

Again, I'm talking technical on the technical forum and you keep wanting me to talk non-technical. If you don't want to talk technical then respond to people who post in the practical forum.

What you say is practical and probably works for you, but you don't appear to understand the technical aspects of what you believe that you do in your swing.

I think we pretty much both understand and agree what it takes to execute a good swing. You just can't describe it in technical terms. I think parents that post on this technical forum are looking for more detail and science than you want to provide or can provide. If they weren't or felt they could not understand technical stuff, they wouldn't post on this area.

I'd be willing to bet, that if we met in person and could demo and talk back and forth with bats in our hands, we wouldn't be very far apart in what we believe is a good swing. And, I think I could clarify the technicalities for you more easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild