DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
An absolutely awesome drill IMO....hitters with drag issues hate this drill because they struggle with it until they change how they get the barrel around....great warm up as opposed to doing regular soft toss....

Yes ... and hitters that fail to disconnect also hate the drill.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
And sometimes even more of useless barometer for girls/women considering they have more slender shoulders compared to men....

It's simply a questionable goal to completely disallow the elbow ever leading the hands prior to the RVP Connection Point position ... male or female ... and I could envision the case of someone removing/reducing whip from someone's swing with that objective in mind.

Many people associate 'bat drag' with the check-point at the RVP Connection Point position ... but that is merely a check-point that adds confirmation that the barrel was "already" dragged and that the hands were not properly activated. The answer isn't to put a bandaide on passing the check-point, but to stop dragging the barrel in the first place.

T

theaddition

What is your definition of 'bat drag'?

First, can you tell us, when is the barrel is turned?
Is it the first move? Does it vary?
And regarding the Shawn Casey one knee video, I posted that about a year ago to stress the use of the hands.
The pourpose as stated in the video is to use the hands properly. At the time, there was a lot a emphasis on howto use the body. There was virtually no talk on hand usage. I beleive there is still that mentality here. I will add that MTS was in agreement with the hand usage topic back then.
Please explain when the barrel is turned. Then I will explain why I asked people to consider the pronated top hand.
I wager you and I are a mile apart.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
It's simply a questionable goal to completely disallow the elbow ever leading the hands prior to the RVP Connection Point position ... male or female ... and I could envision the case of someone removing/reducing whip from someone's swing with that objective in mind.

Many people associate 'bat drag' with the check-point at the RVP Connection Point position ... but that is merely a check-point that adds confirmation that the barrel was "already" dragged and that the hands were not properly activated. The answer isn't to put a bandaide on passing the check-point, but to stop dragging the barrel in the first place.

I'm glad this was posted as my DD looks very similar to Batdragon's DD at this point in the swing after A LOT of work. We'll keep working on it but I was getting a bit frustrated after video taping her recently thinking we had solved the bat drag issue already and seeing the elbow out front.

T

theaddition

We'll keep working on it but I was getting a bit frustrated after video taping her recently thinking we had solved the bat drag issue already and seeing the elbow out front.

As FFS aluded to, I think, "elbow out in front" is the effect component of the cause and effect relationship regarding bat drag. Concentrating on the elbow position by itself won't fix bat drag. Elbow out in front itsn't the real problem.
Elbow out in front is an indicator that something "upstream" is wrong. Turning the barrel won't fix it either.

T

theaddition

First, can you tell us, when is the barrel is turned?
Is it the first move? Does it vary?
And regarding the Shawn Casey one knee video, I posted that about a year ago to stress the use of the hands.
The pourpose as stated in the video is to use the hands properly. At the time, there was a lot a emphasis on howto use the body. There was virtually no talk on hand usage. I beleive there is still that mentality here. I will add that MTS was in agreement with the hand usage topic back then.
Please explain when the barrel is turned. Then I will explain why I asked people to consider the pronated top hand.
I wager you and I are a mile apart.

BUMP
anyone?

R

RayR

Simply - getting players to work their hands/wrists to turn the barrel earlier helps quicken the swing....when they start creating a more inside hand path without using shoulder rotation they get adjustablility....

Oct 26, 2012
As FFS aluded to, I think, "elbow out in front" is the effect component of the cause and effect relationship regarding bat drag. Concentrating on the elbow position by itself won't fix bat drag. Elbow out in front itsn't the real problem.
Elbow out in front is an indicator that something "upstream" is wrong. Turning the barrel won't fix it either.

So theaddition, in your opinion, what upstream issues cause bat drag ? and what fixes these upstream issues ?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

The notion of turning the barrel to contact will most definitely remove 'bat drag'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Simply - getting players to work their hands/wrists to turn the barrel earlier helps quicken the swing....when they start creating a more inside hand path without using shoulder rotation they get adjustablility....

Yes ... and the desire to turn the barrel, which can easily be connected to the lateral scrunching (spine engine), will pretty much guarantee an inside/out swing path versus and over-the-top swing path.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors