DD asking for heavier bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
I am a bat guy, who ALWAYS was looking to increment my DD to a slightly larger bat.

If she is swinging a 30 drop 10 fine, the next logical step is to go to a 31 drop 10.

The only time as a parent I would even consider going up to a 32 drop 10 is if she is ahead of all the pitches.

It is an expensive way to go, for a 32 drop 10 is a good goal for a 12U player. But your player is small. Watch her swing. Is it "on the ball"? ... if so go slowly with the bat increase. This is not to say you will be having the same conversation in a year or less, that is fine.

Just don't "mess" up a good swing by going too big, even if it is just for a year.

I went a slightly larger bat every single year when she was young.

Jan 25, 2011
Sorry, those of you that think a 10u even up to most 12u's are out of your mind to jump up to a 32" -10. Way to big, heck most 14u's are swing a 32" -10. This sounds more like a parent wanting to brag about their dd swinging a bigger bat, when almost likely they can't handle the bat. Op your dd is way to small by your own description to be swinging a 32" -10 and little angels softball is also giving you really really bad advice.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I got my 9yr old a 32/-11. Not because I thought it was the right bat necessarily, but because i had promised her a new bat and I am too impatient to wait for online shipping and trying to find a 30" off the rack bat of any quality is basically impossible.We tried a bunch of bats in varying sizes and I did not see any breakdowns in her swing with the bigger bat. She is pretty strong and really wanted it so I indulged her and figured at the very least she would grow into it eventually. It is a cf5. She has been knocking the cover off all season in all stars. What I found accidentally is that the extra couple of inches turns end of bat mis hits into sweet spot hits and I still don't see any indication of her speed slowing down. No real advice to give except that bat size is more individual than rule of thumb.

Sorry, those of you that think a 10u even up to most 12u's are out of your mind to jump up to a 32" -10. Way to big, heck most 14u's are swing a 32" -10. This sounds more like a parent wanting to brag about their dd swinging a bigger bat, when almost likely they can't handle the bat. Op your dd is way to small by your own description to be swinging a 32" -10 and little angels softball is also giving you really really bad advice.
Whatever, bro.

We measure the exit speed of all of our girls weekly. We have measured it off the tee, front toss and with the ball pitched by real girls. Every one of our 12 girls on the team is using the bat that produces the best exit speeds for her.

The girls are all 11 years old. We play against the toughest 12U Class A pitching in the country every weekend. Our team of 11 year olds has produced 17 homeruns by five different players in right around 70 games. The team batting average is just over .350.

Ten of our 12 players use 32" bats. Two use 31" bats but one of those is starting to consistently get higher exit speeds off the tee and in front toss with a 32" -10 LXT over her 31" -10 CF6. She has yet to try the longer bat in games so we haven't measured it there, but my guess is she'll make the transition after the big tournaments are over.

I advised the OP to go with a 31" -10 or -11 for his girl. I cannot see that is bad advice and don't how see how you can say it, either. I also know for a fact that a 32" bat is best for 10 out of 12 of my 11-year-olds, because we can prove it with weekly statistical analysis that covers a ten-month span. Can you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207