DD 1 Year Swing update: Slow but it's getting better

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
In one year we've joined a travel team (she's a pitcher), but still continue to work on this swing. It's hard to put in extra work since pitching takes so much of our time. However, we are about to be done for the fall and want to put a lot more work into this swing during the off season. We've been working on turning the barrel and are seeing the bat drag get better. Here is a side by side of last year almost to the day. Sorry about the camera quality on the right, it was done with a cell phone. I personally would like to see more load which is probably an understatement.

[video=youtube_share;0py2BBfPTjQ]http://youtu.be/0py2BBfPTjQ[/video]

Mar 12, 2009
Definitely better. Wait for the more knowledgeable responses but I would work on keeping the front shoulder down and in. This may help the early lead arm extension also.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Believe it or not, as bad as that swing on the left looks, it was even worse before i posted it a year ago. Major amounts of bug squishing and there was no stride, load or anything. Getting rid of the bug squishing took some time. Now we need a better load and keep working on this bat drag thing. We've only been working on turning the bat for about the last 2 weeks.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good luck!

I've been working on getting my DD to turn the barrel for a couple of months, and we're not there yet. My latest discovery was that my DD thinks the arms are primarily responsible for swinging the bat, and this is a big contributor to straightening of her lead arm. I need to get the bat more into her hands.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Good luck!

I've been working on getting my DD to turn the barrel for a couple of months, and we're not there yet. My latest discovery was that my DD thinks the arms are primarily responsible for swinging the bat, and this is a big contributor to straightening of her lead arm. I need to get the bat more into her hands.

Sorry Gophert to comment to Eric on your post...also for some reason my youtube isnt working, so I can't view your daughter.

Eric, have you worked with her on getting stretched in the hip socket? I feel like if I am stretched tight, turning the barrel is a slight action that triggers the rear hip launching it. If you haven't already, try setting her up in a 45 degree snf drill. Really make sure she is stretching back around her rear leg, she should really feel it in her rear upper thigh through her butt cheek. Try the spring drill...lifting her front leg and see if she springs open. Then show her turning the barrel...hands stay in spot in relation to rear shoulder...don't push them forward...but turn...snap the barrel rearward.

Do it with front toss. With in first session, you should have a few, if not several "holy smokes hits".

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2013
....turning the barrel...tune to tbs now and watch the game...actually watch for the new Chrysler commercial with Miggy. It has a great low behind view of him hitting a bp ball.
Ffs...can you snag it?

All I saw was miggy got struck out with men on 1st and 3rd just one out:mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom