DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Totally understand what you're saying. (I deleted the original post. no one commented on it so I thought maybe I was way off base. ��)

Not off base at all...valid question IMO...

One of my biggest mistakes - and this goes back years - was trying to eat the proverbial elephant in just a few bites...

Focus on 1 thing at a time...make small improvements, rinse and repeat...CP

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Dominant hand - usually the rear or top. I'm talking about the wrist extension (knuckles toward forearm).

wristextensiongif-S.gif

Drills for direction and barrel load? I like the connection drill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pquLUwOcw6Q

i will eventually make some demo drill clips to add to my drills, that include the direct portion of the swing, because in my clips it looks like i am using my body to direct my hands, rather than my hands directing my body, because my hands are locked onto body rotation.

Knob to ball, and a drill like hitting the ball with the knob are older drills, and would give the general idea, but the wrong placement of the handle.
The perception of inside and above the ball should be one that is ingrained and understood.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Not quite mann. It's more of a blend between radial deviation - extension:

Wrist-Movement-Pic.gif

Your example looks more ulnar deviation - extension. You have to radial (thumb side) first. Your example looks backwards...

How do you hold your fully loaded brick trowel, as your shaking/throwing/laying an ear on an 8in block?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Not quite mann. It's more of a blend between radial deviation - extension:

Wrist-Movement-Pic.gif

Your example looks more ulnar deviation - extension. You have to radial (thumb side) first. Your example looks backwards...

How do you hold your fully loaded brick trowel, as your shaking/throwing/laying an ear on an 8in block?

wristexgifulnar-M.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
You are starting with more ulnar deviation. Is it resisting truley? or does it not care? a no "muscling" move
Ulnar is the "tip" portion of tip and rip. It is the antagonist - SSC - to loading the barrel (radial). The radial is the antagonist - SSC - to the unloading (ulnar).

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Better.

TopHandArticulations.gif

Even though the wrist get's to these articulations, it is resisting the barrel load throughout.

So we hit tonight for a bit...mind you she had swim practice for 2 hours this afternoon so I'm sure she was a little tired but she wanted to hit so off we go...

We ONLY focused on the hand movement above - You can see she's trying like hell to get Howe's hand movement right (and failing LOL) To boot, this was at the expense of some other moving parts notably the barrel flattening and the rear elbow forward...trying to get her to extension was next to impossible...

I completely expected this...You can't expect to make a big change to the action of the hands - the connection point between body and bat - and not expect ramifications. For those of you following along trying to help your DD once in a while you will have to backwards to go forwards...no worries...just part of the process...

30rs1ns.gif

2dmikow.gif

2w3rf45.gif

We will hit later this week and head back to back chaining with the added *NEW* hand action. I was probably a bit ambitious and premature with the hitting tonight.

Comments welcome...CP

May 3, 2014
Chris - JMO but I don't think Howe was recommending you or anyone else to try and mimic the hand action he is showing as an illustration of what should happen. You were on a better course working on those modified stop swings.

Aside from that - the front hip has to keep working to pull back (while the foot is in the air) instead of being acted upon by the rear hip coil and producing a twisting action. This produces an untwisting action that is a spin of the hips. Watch the rear foot spin as a result. And this spin will indeed effect the barrel's path of swinging around the body.

1j4u4q.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207