Daugters swing in the cage any advice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How old?

Swing lacks rhythm and a good sequence. What we see is a basic gate swing from a static position. Will likely have a difficult time in the box facing good pitching. She does appear to drag the barrel quickly though.

302vrpf.gif

wiqyw0.gif

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I would start from the bottom up. Get that front knee collapse out of her system so her back hip can rotate. It appears she is stepping on the ball of the front foot, which is good. The heel plants at 45 degrees which is good. Her hand positions, grip, appears to be good.

A little list not to share with her and get freaked out about.
1) the front knee
2) the back elbow collapse which FiveFrame mentioned. She is trying to accelerate the bat through the zone which may be quick because it is a very light bat. But it is very bad. It reduces bat speed and power. The hands should be right above her back elbow when FiveFrame's last .gif ends, in a straight vertical line. You can see how far her elbow is ahead. In the last .gif, there is a little white spot showing that I think is the pants pocket. Her back elbow should be lined up with that spot when the video ends.
3) Instead of collapsing that hand position to the ball's level, she should be "tilting" her shoulders to get there. It is almost like a sitdown motion she is making, facilitated by that front knee collapse.

Focus on the bottom hand, front elbow, initiating the swing. Get the bat moving with that hand and practice keeping that "V" form of the elbows at 90 degrees through the whole swing. Right now she has about 20 degrees between her elbows.

I would move her hands back and down slightly more toward her back shoulder. Make sure her forearms aren't vertical in a straight up and down. The space between biceps and hands is also 90 degrees. This allows a batter to throw her hands inside a pitch on the inner half, and get through the zone to attack that pitch, and keep it fair, and hit it on the meat of the barrel.

That is enough for now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
Ok this is the same day doing t work it is alittle better.. Thanks to all of you.. my main question is were to start fixing it.. she hits pretty well but she has lots of power that she doesnt get into her swing.. she is 11 years old, and the bat she is using is a CF5 insane. that is end loaded it is a 31in 22oz she is 5ft 4inch and weights around 155lbs she swings the bat pretty good but hits alot of pop ups shallow out field that get caught or grounders and get through out.. her average this weekend was around .300.. thanks again for your help

Savannah t work - YouTube

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Here is a video of one of my students after 1 hr 45 minutes of a team lesson for their Junior National Team. She is Croatian girl, named Ema and is 16. I might add that their team is very weak on the European rankings.
Please note that what I want you to see is her back elbow position. I do not coach a dogma. Ema struggled with getting her weight into the pitch and had poor hip rotation. She is about 5'5" and 105lbs. So she was the only girl I taught a toe-touch to for this reason. She has "separation" issues that I don't like. I prefer the toe touch be accomplished with quiet hands, or a simple bat lift from the shoulder, followed by the stretch with the front foot and hands to the launch position. She also leans backward a little which gives her a small upper-cut. But she isn't a train wreck.

This video is from balls thrown by a pitching machine. So her timing varies a little. Again, this slow-motion video is for you to observe that back elbow and her arm-frame, which facilitates a proper swing. But this is new to her and the other kids there.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Her hips should lead her swing,currently they go at the same time,her rear foot spins (squish the bug)not what you want.I have to ask this why no shoes?The cf5 insane is a -10 not -9 show it 31" 21oz.,start at the bottom and work your way up.good luck

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
sorry i ment 32/22.. we have been working on driving her hip i dont tell her to squish the bug. She is also a pitcher so i tell her that her at finish swing she should be on her drag toe.. i have been trying to get her to start with her hipps forever. i have a pretty good idea of the sequince of hitting but am having a hard time getting her to see it. i recently downloaded RVP by V1 and it is helping her see what im talking about... And all your all's advice is greatly appriciated

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Did you read Megan1-tee started by Immortal1 and "Thoughts on my daughter's swing"started by dukie? Dukie's post will help you on exterminating "bug squishing"(see what I did there?) Megan1-tee post will help with the sequence.Explained well and easy to follow along.If she was my DD (believe me she had the same starting swing) I would not want her front foot already open from the start.Your DD front foot is opened which I think allows her to get away with big squishing.I would check out Straightlegs video on balance and the Elvis move( some don't like this and perfer to learn the "move") I like the "move" (DD is in the process of learning the "move" better)but started with the Elvis first.The easiest way to think of the "move'' is just like taking a lead off of first for a delayed steal and you have to get back to first in a hurry(for a rht batter) That is the "move"This info is in the dukie post.I hope this helps?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
sorry i ment 32/22.. we have been working on driving her hip i dont tell her to squish the bug. She is also a pitcher so i tell her that her at finish swing she should be on her drag toe.. i have been trying to get her to start with her hipps forever. i have a pretty good idea of the sequince of hitting but am having a hard time getting her to see it. i recently downloaded RVP by V1 and it is helping her see what im talking about... And all your all's advice is greatly appriciated

Bold above .... you will continue with that struggle until you migrate to a clean swing sequence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi