Daughter taken out in middle of inning?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2013
Also I dont understand your logic either? So if your DD or any kid for that matter has a position and its hers to keep who is pushing her to get better?
Re-read my post. No where in it did I mention that I do not believe in competition. I just don't believe you should pull a player instantly for making an error. They can get gun shy if you do. I want my players to play all out. I also hope I didn't come off to harsh. Read Ken Krause's post, he said what I meant just much more eloquently.

Nov 29, 2009
I know I want my players to have the confidence to go hard after every ball and if they make a mistake thats ok

I tell my players if you're going to make a mistake make a BIG one. That way I know you're trying. I don't pull kids for physical errors unless they look like they are not ready for a position. I will pull kids in the middle of an inning for mental mistakes on things we've worked on before, missing a backup or poor effort.

I tell my players if you're going to make a mistake make a BIG one. That way I know you're trying. I don't pull kids for physical errors unless they look like they are not ready for a position. I will pull kids in the middle of an inning for mental mistakes on things we've worked on before, missing a backup or poor effort.
^^^^This I ask two things from my girls attitude and effort. Girls will strike out and girls will make errors you can't control those things (sure you can minimize them with practice and repetition but you can't eliminate them) but you can ALWAYS control your attitude and effort and I will pull you mid inning if you show me you don't want to be out there; although even then it would have to be really bad to merit mid inning pull.

Feb 24, 2012
I have pulled a fielder mid-inning 2 times. First was ss who made 5 throwing errors in same inning. Pulled her because she was mentally shot and completely down on herself. Would have been counterproductive to leave her in. Put her right back at ss the next inning and she was good to go!!
Second was 3B who didnt charge a bunt for the 3rd straight time. Never had the problem again!!

Sounds like more to the story to me as well.

Mar 22, 2010
No there were no base runners on. She stopped the girl at 1st and no she is not my sweet daughter at home but is usually the opposite. She is always very respectful of her coaches and teachers. She has played on several travel teams and been yelled at and she can take that and understands it and knows what she did wrong when a coach does that but this coach (woman) pulled her and said nothing then she didn't know why. She thinks its cause she doesn't play close enough in on 3rd but there have been numerous cases already this year where if she would have been playing closer she would have missed balls hit to her. She said the assistant coach told her she did a good job but that she needed her to stay with them defensively. The thing is is that this team rarely practices out on field and she normally just catches inside a field house and hits so she doesn't normally play 3rd and she also has head coach telling her to creep up and assistant coach (who actually played in college and spends the most time with her) shaking her head no at her.
But like after a game she's used to coaches talking to them after a game and going over what they did wrong and what to improve on & this middle school team does none of that. I tried to get her to approach assistant coach cause that is the only one she really ever sees cause the head coach only comes to the actual games and the whole team got in trouble today for the few that were planning on going to a tourney which would jeopardize our whole season so she didn't think it was best time but she's also scared to death to make coaches think she's questioning their decisions. I told her to say "what can I do different to prevent things from happening again the way they did tues night?
No I know she has it in her to get better and I don't want her to think she has a position "in the bag" and think she's above sitting the bench but I could have taken yelling, screaming, any kind of explanation for her to understand but for it to be done and she just thinks its cause she sucks just didn't sit well with me. I think there is a lil bit of a tift going on between head and assistant coach and so my daughter was used to prove a point that the head coach makes the decisions. But the assistant coach is the one who is at every prac with them (inside their fieldhouse anyway). Anyway... thanks for ya'lls input. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ok, things seem to make a little more sense now. Seems like the HC and AC are on different pages. Even if the AC is working w/ your DD during practice, your DD will need to follow the HC's lead if she wants more playing time.

The good news is that the school season isn't too long and it will soon be time for TB!

Good luck!

Mar 22, 2010
Yes I agree with you and told my daughter that she needs to listen to head coach. She is of course 13 and knows absolutely everything there is so trying to reason with her is like trying to reason with a brick wall sometimes. She's seeing it as this girl, assistant coach, (not long our of college maybe 6 yrs or so) is with her everyday and actually played ball and then there is head coach who, is older and pretty sure didn't ever play sports, comes in during games only and tells them where and how to play and doesn't really know anything about them. But I told her such is life. Do what your HC says. But I can't remember who on here said it but yes a lot of the parents on our team were upset over the pull in the middle of the inning because they were all saying now they would all be playing scared that they would make the next mistake. I don't think that is a good way to play ball with that in the back of your mind.

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe the coach just doesn't like your dd and your dd doesn't like the coach. I don't like every kid on the team, some of them are jerks and those kids don't like me because I'm a jerk. That is fine, thats life. Not every coach is right, just like not every kid is right.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors