Daughter taken out in middle of inning?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Okay I know I'm a mom and I of course don't want my daughters feelings hurt for any reason but tonight I wasn't even mad I was just really hurt. My daughter plays 1st some games and 3rd some games and catcher some games for Middle School. Tonight she had already hit 2 to center field twice and got on. She is 5th batter in the lineup. While she was playing 3rd it was hit towards pitcher, shortstop, 3rd base. She stopped the ball picked it up threw a good throw to 1st but didn't get the out. The coach calls time and pulls her out of the game and puts someone else in. #1- that wasn't a mistake in my opinion and #2 she hadn't made any other mistakes all night. My question- was that the right thing to do? I wouldn't have been upset at all if the change had been made during inning change but to call time and call her off the field for that was wrong in my opinion. I could have understood it if it had gone between her legs or she made a bad throw or anything but she didn't make a mistake imo. But then again I'm her mama so what do I know? LOL The head coach and then assistant coach have had some headbutting and some disagreements about things quite a bit and the assistant actually played ball and was good and she likes my daughter and I think tonight was just a show of authority of head coach saying "I am in control and will make the decisions." Would you as coaches done the same thing?:confused:

Feb 7, 2013
Sounds like there is more to the story than the facts you have explained. Most coaches don't do things randomly, there generally is a method to their madness and sometimes "outsiders" (bleacher parents) are not privy to game strategy, etc. The easiest way to find out the reason she was pulled is for HER to ask the coach nicely what she could have done differently so she can improve as a player.

While I am not a big fan of pulling players mid inning unless it is a pitcher who is struggling, if the coach felt she wasnt paying attention, for example, or missing a defensive sign, etc. maybe she brings her to the bench to explain to her the reason she is pulled and how to correct the perceived mistake. I wouldnt worry about it too much unless your DD is being singled out long term. Players need to have thick skin especially as they get older and the expectations higher.

Apr 15, 2012
Like Rocketech said, there is more to the story that you probably just don't know. I would bet that your DD knows why she was pulled.

Hopefully more to the story, pretty rare for me to pull someone defensively in the middle of an inning.

Always best to just have daughter ask the coach just make sure she words the question correctly " I know you pulled me in the middle of the inning last game what can I do to keep myself on the field the maximum time possible, what is it that I can improve on?"

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Along with what the others have posted I would check her attitude around the Team. I know she is your sweet DD but ...

I am taking it to an extreme but when the play wasn’t made did she throw her glove on the ground and stomping on it. :)

Player on DD’s regular team was suspended in MS for a couple practices and a game. Not sure what happened but I only see the games and only a small part of that. I don’t know what is going on in the dugout or the interaction between everyone.

Just a suggestion, maybe it is not the Issue.

It is probably a bad idea to start with the coach is in idiot, you might end up there but look internally first.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
That's the first thing I had thought of... maybe the coach had been working on getting the lead runner and was upset that the throw went to first? Maybe the coach had been working on charging slow rollers and was upset at how the ball was fielded?

Maybe it was the case of just making her better? Let me explain my DD was on a14u team last year in fall and we playep to 16U was a very good team and the coach of that team is a good friend of mine (like family) he did the same thing, If you made an error or a mistake you were pulled instantly ....he would sit you down and explain what you did wrong .....he told me and I believe this if you let a girl stay in the game whether it be one error or more you give that kid the sense that she has the position or positions locked up and it is hard to get a player better when she knows she has the position locked up so to pull a girl after an error I get it...... lord knows my DD got pulled more than a few times and now she is an outstanding middle infielder. Just another take on it .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors