Darrell Shell Park - 16U ASA Nationals....a new low!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2014
Did I also mention that the outfield grass is longer than the rough at Augusta during the Masters?

There is no rough at Augusta National. It's called the "Second Cut" and it's not long at all, in fact, some muni's have FAIRWAYS longer than the Second Cut :)
Now, I think what you mean is the rough at a US Open...that stuff is gnarly.

$50/hour for a batting cage at a crappy park? That's straight up robbery. Indoor batting cages with a hitting coach and a machine don't cost that much!

Last edited:
May 18, 2013
Richmond, VA
My DD's team is playing in the 16U ASA Nationals in Salem, VA this week. Our first pool game on Monday was at Darrell Shell Park. We arrived an hour early to warm up before our games. There are two batting cages and our head coach had our girls head over to the cages for some batting practice.....it was at that point that we were informed that the batting cages were available for "rent" for $50/hour.....are you kidding me? We pay ASA tournament fees, have 13 families in hotel rooms with jacked up rates giving kickbacks to ASA and now the park wants to charge us $50 to use batting cages? Did I also mention that the outfield grass is longer than the rough at Augusta during the Masters? I bet they don't have this nickle and dime BS at PGF!!!

On a brighter note, today we played at Botetourt Sports Complex, which is AWESOME, and they had a couple of nice batting cages available for FREE, plus the games are streaming live online!

Botetourt and Moyer are really nice complexes and we've played at them many times. Never heard of the one you mentioned but that's absurd! Can't imagine ASA is privy to this practice?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207