Dang, my kid can hang after all!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Ok, so we are in the midst of our first 12U TB tournament. In her very first TB at bat (I wrote about one from a scrimmage in a previous post, but this is the real deal), she hit it to the fence and drove in two runs. She ran to third, coach told her to keep going, and she got tagged out at home (damn). She's had several other really solid hits throughout the games so far. As far as catching goes, she got the last two outs of the last game at home plate. Everyone was fired up. Coach told DH that she has the best arm on the team!

We may or may not win a trophy in this one (still have several games to go today), but just knowing that TB was the right decision for DD and that she can hang with her teammates and competition is really gratifying. I only wish we'd done it sooner!

Aug 26, 2015
Ok, so we are in the midst of our first 12U TB tournament. In her very first TB at bat (I wrote about one from a scrimmage in a previous post, but this is the real deal), she hit it to the fence and drove in two runs. She ran to third, coach told her to keep going, and she got tagged out at home (damn). She's had several other really solid hits throughout the games so far. As far as catching goes, she got the last two outs of the last game at home plate. Everyone was fired up. Coach told DH that she has the best arm on the team!

We may or may not win a trophy in this one (still have several games to go today), but just knowing that TB was the right decision for DD and that she can hang with her teammates and competition is really gratifying. I only wish we'd done it sooner!

How'd it turn out today?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
They played the semi-final game in the Loser Bracket and lost (boo). The game before us went into two extra innings and we started over an hour late. It was really cold (temperature-wise) and I think they got cold (figuratively speaking) sitting on the bleachers waiting to play. But, I think everyone was pretty pleased given that it was the first tourney of the year and given several new players. I think they're going to gel well!

Jun 12, 2015
That's awesome! Funny, the same thing happened to my dd in the same tournament, but 10u. Very solid triple but 3B coach (also her dad) sent her home and she got tagged out. She also drove in 2 runs. Funny coincidence. :)

Aug 26, 2015
That's awesome! Funny, the same thing happened to my dd in the same tournament, but 10u. Very solid triple but 3B coach (also her dad) sent her home and she got tagged out. She also drove in 2 runs. Funny coincidence. :)

I bet she had a "not so nice glance" at dad after getting out, huh?

Aug 26, 2015
They played the semi-final game in the Loser Bracket and lost (boo). The game before us went into two extra innings and we started over an hour late. It was really cold (temperature-wise) and I think they got cold (figuratively speaking) sitting on the bleachers waiting to play. But, I think everyone was pretty pleased given that it was the first tourney of the year and given several new players. I think they're going to gel well!

That's awesome!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
That first taste of success playing with the big girls is great. I am sure there are parents out there of kids that made the move to TB with their first kid and were completely confident that DD was going to kill it, but I think the vast majority of us had a lot of trepidation (JJ using them big werdz) and anxiety about our kids being able to hang. So that first moment where you see that they CAN do it is special...enjoy it. You will find that TB is like Chinese food. As much as you eat, you are still hungry 30 minutes later. The weekend's highlight are usually a distant memory by Thursday and you get hungry for the next hit/catch/K. It is truly an addiction.

Jun 12, 2015
That first taste of success playing with the big girls is great. I am sure there are parents out there of kids that made the move to TB with their first kid and were completely confident that DD was going to kill it, but I think the vast majority of us had a lot of trepidation (JJ using them big werdz) and anxiety about our kids being able to hang. So that first moment where you see that they CAN do it is special...enjoy it. You will find that TB is like Chinese food. As much as you eat, you are still hungry 30 minutes later. The weekend's highlight are usually a distant memory by Thursday and you get hungry for the next hit/catch/K. It is truly an addiction.

This is so, so true. It's like crack, only it won't kill you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi