Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Yes, very good point.

I have noticed considerably more female assistant coaches this year. Perhaps just a coincidence, but I don't think so.

This last weekend a team at our tournament had a girl "become a woman" during the tournament. Her parents weren't at the game. The all-male coaching staff went like this:

AC1 -- deer in headlights
AC2 -- went to get the first aid kit
HC -- texted the mom and said "get the F#@* down here immediately"

The girl didn't play any more that day.
This is a bummer for the young lady...

We always had a first aid kit....that INCLUDED....things beyond first aid...including lady needs. When we didn't have a female assistant my DD would tell team there were emergency supplies in coaches bucket with first aid kit. We were fortunate to always have a mom at games so no issues there....did have 2x where a player had an emergecny grabbed supplies and took off to bathroom in the middle of the game. Players handled it well coaches handled it well discreetly.

Oct 4, 2018
This happened when DD was playing 12u. Usually there were tons of moms around at practice but not this night. I got a call from the girl’s mom asking if I could bring her supplies because she was on her way but got a flat tire.
When I got there I was told that one of us moms always needed to be there because they don't know what to do

Men are idiots. I have personal experience in this.

Jul 5, 2016
...did have 2x where a player had an emergecny grabbed supplies and took off to bathroom in the middle of the game. Players handled it well coaches handled it well discreetly.

In the military, we were trained to continue with the mission. I would expect nothing less from softball. Did you have to sub them out and were you able to return them to the game.

Oct 4, 2018
I can't help but wonder if a coach like that has had any experience with a daughter of age... or even talks with his wife about her issues. I'M THE ONE that puts extra pads in my daughter's bag. I'M THE ONE that makes sure I have every med possible when the cramps hit and keep schedule on exactly when she can take again. I can't help but think some of that just comes down to parenting. There are no forbidden subjects in our house and my daughter has zero issues telling me she started.

That said, I realize everyone is different. When my daughter and I coached LL, I very specifically always included the moms anything I asked for parents to shag balls or run a station. Men just tend to be more aggressive, but the moms always grabbed a glove and hit the OF.

Totally agree. My daughters have what they need and my wife has discussed it all with them a lot. I'm lucky.

This coach (in my story) is divorced and DD lives with the mom.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
In the military, we were trained to continue with the mission. I would expect nothing less from softball. Did you have to sub them out and were you able to return them to the game.
both times we had just ended our defensive part of inning...

One girl was 2nd up that inning. She grabbed supplies and took off to restroom. I look around for her...get the "coach....sally has issues" and we subbed in a batter for her. That batter hit a double. Sally comes back from bathroom and announces "What did I miss....." :)

Other girl got to restroom and back before her turn in the order came up.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I get feminine products all the time..that wasn't what I was referring to. There are certain times of the month when it pays off to be scarce..if you know what I mean.
Oh I do, and you’re very right! Just thought I’d add that for little Sally’s very first time, I don’t want her to forever remember my stupid face!

Jun 8, 2016
Oh I do, and you’re very right! Just thought I’d add that for little Sally’s very first time, I don’t want her to forever remember my stupid face!
All I have is a stupid face so that is going to be hard to get away from for Marcela...

Sep 3, 2020
To all the dad coaches that don’t favour their own kid, I applaud you.
Unfortunately, true “daddy ball” is all I have seen where we live. We have seen Daddy coaches cut the best player because he wants his own daughter to be the all- star. Ironically, cutting the best pitcher doesn’t make your own dd better. Most of the dad coaches we had seen just don’t have any integrity and usually they’re only there for their own kid, not anyone else’s kid, not for the love of coaching and certainly not for the love of the game.
Non- parent coaches are not the be all and end all but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
To all the dad coaches that don’t favour their own kid, I applaud you.
Unfortunately, true “daddy ball” is all I have seen where we live. We have seen Daddy coaches cut the best player because he wants his own daughter to be the all- star. Ironically, cutting the best pitcher doesn’t make your own dd better. Most of the dad coaches we had seen just don’t have any integrity and usually they only for their own kid, not anyone else’s kid, not for the love of coaching and certainly not for the love of the game.
Non- parent coaches are not the be all and end all but at least it is a step in the right direction.

I am a AC on my DD's team. I try very hard to separate, Dad from coach. Team practice and game time, Its the coach hat, not dad hat. When I was first approached by the HC to be a AC, I spoke to my DD one on one and told her that she will not get any special treatment. She is to earn everything just like all the other players. I've always been hesitant to be a coach on my DD's team, because I didn't want the relationship to be ruined, because I couldn't separate coach and dad. Its a tough thing. I let her bring up any games on the ride home.

Jul 5, 2016
As somebody noted previously, as a Dad coach, you are kind of screwed if your daughter isn't clearly one of the top 5-6 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00