Daddy Ball Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
I'm a Rec Coach. I do it because my 4 DD's love to play softball and I love spending my time at the fields with them and their teammates. I spend hundreds or hours at the park trying to make our programs better. Does that entitle me to put my daughter a couple spots higher in the batting order or give one of them an extra inning in the circle? You bet it does, don't like it? Get off the couch and volunteer. Would I use my position to increase the chances of one mine getting a spot on a summer all-star team? Yup, in a second if that's what she wanted.

Save your pretentious daddy ball threads for your class A 14U teams. Those of us down in the trenches are working just as hard and if that means that some coach (who also has a real job) can provide a couple of extra opportunities for his DD because of the work he's putting in, I say "good for him!".

Good points. However, I do coach 14U A ball and my DD has earned her position on the team from 8U coach pitch rec ball to where she is now. I have spent hundreds of hours like you and I see your point. Especially, when you get the feeling your time might have been better served undiluted on your DD alone.

However, if your DD is seeking to play at the next level (whatever that may be) she has to earn wjat she gets. On the other hand, I have sat my DD in situations where she deserved to play as to not show the appearance of favoritism. So, what the heck, you may be right! Thanks for putting in the time and working hard for your team.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Good points. However, I do coach 14U A ball and my DD has earned her position on the team from 8U coach pitch rec ball to where she is now. I have spent hundreds of hours like you and I see your point. Especially, when you get the feeling your time might have been better served undiluted on your DD alone.

However, if your DD is seeking to play at the next level (whatever that may be) she has to earn wjat she gets. On the other hand, I have sat my DD in situations where she deserved to play as to not show the appearance of favoritism. So, what the heck, you may be right! Thanks for putting in the time and working hard for your team.

Nice post, I probably got a little excited but my point was that especially when it comes to Rec leagues, I have no problem with a little preferential treatment (at least as a tiebreaker) going to people who make things work. That's life. While I say I give me DD's some preferential treatment, DW would definitely say that I'm harder on them than the other kids. I think its just because I know how much practice time they put in relative to others.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I don't know if she is good or bad, but one thing is for sure her daddy has to learn to be a little more humble or she won't go any where.

Sounds like I'm the Daddy... in "A" Daddy Ball Observation post, and without even being a coach. Lookz like I better keep Team manager in mind.

Not sure how else she would have got there... ehhhhh...hitch hike?

Against all the advice, except one "Awesome Young Lady" of national stature, that DD asked about being #2 or #3 catcher on her team, that told her "your young, do all you can for the team" That encouragement caused her to stay for all the catcher tryouts, being tired and ready to go home, like the rest... she was told that she will be #2 0r #3 catcher, and told she wasn't a polished catcher. She was only a catcher in her mind. She had only caught 2 innings in 11 friendlies, and this being our first Tournament of 2012-2013, and for this a new team just put together, and never in another game, since first year rec. @ 8... Not in the pool play the day before. Not until the bracket game that we were #1 seed in against the "Best?" The catcher goes down with an injury, and DD comes in... Played the rest of the game and the Championship as catcher...She came up big ! Of course so did the rest of the team.... we qualified, and are ranked. I can't speak for the rest of the girls on here. But you can guess with hints like #1 seed, Qualified & ranked... you should have guessed that, It's not punt, pass or kick, or even HR Derby... It was a ASA Event... you know they are team events, do you need me to rehearse that for you?

DD will speak for her self when she is legally responsible for her words. For now they want her birth Certificate, and that comes from me. Besides I let her do what we all three agree on, including her Mom. The coach is goating this for your chime, because I let her quite... He just assumed we went off to a team further away, when I frankly told him, if anyone quits, they should just work on skills, and be a ready to be pick-up for nationals. I guess he though that they won't accommodate her. Wrong...

Why wait... should know something this year.... She can compare to others at this age... I know you ain't judging her, just wonder if you can see the video. Did you know that you can just simply like or dislike & comment on there... ??? TTYL

Oh yea...do you have anything to add to the thread of the OP... Don't get me wrong, I like having peeps... see U guys in my other post :{))

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Nice post, I probably got a little excited but my point was that especially when it comes to Rec leagues, I have no problem with a little preferential treatment (at least as a tiebreaker) going to people who make things work. That's life. While I say I give me DD's some preferential treatment, DW would definitely say that I'm harder on them than the other kids. I think its just because I know how much practice time they put in relative to others.

It has been a few years since my DD played in a rec league, but I always thought that rec ball was basically 'equal playing time' and move the girls around to different positions. I still coach my younger DD in a rec basketball league and the scorers table actually keeps track of how many minutes each kids plays!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
To me there are 2 different coaching styles for those parents that have a DD on the team. One is what I call the parent coach (the one that you cannot tell which player is their DD unless you knew), and one is the Daddy-Ball coach (the one that always places their DD above the team)

Yes she plays on the team I AC for. Like I tell the players, I'm just here to lift heavy stuff lol

I figured that you were a good one. One thing that drives me alittle harder than most of you younger coaches, is that I'm 55. DD's mom has worked the same schedule for 30+ years on the weekends. She can't come to the TB games. So I try to get her something to see. Some highlight videos. Hopefully a great play... and you can tell she is mine, DD always hugs me alot at the games. She is 10, and I know Its not always going to be like that. She is just now getting where she can redo the hair on her own, but I was always doing that too. I take the place of her mom. Their are alot of really good Moms in TB, and its sometimes hard for me to keep up with them. I will admit, that I get lotz of help from them, and I think they enjoy how me & DD try to do all the stuff needed.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
It has been a few years since my DD played in a rec league, but I always thought that rec ball was basically 'equal playing time' and move the girls around to different positions. I still coach my younger DD in a rec basketball league and the scorers table actually keeps track of how many minutes each kids plays!

We have pretty strict rules that govern substitutions and rotations. Everyone pretty much plays the same amount.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our rules are continuous batting order and all players must play a minimum of three defensive innings in a full seven inning game. Since until about 14 you get caught by the hour and 40 minute time limit I have never figured out what the playing time rule is, certainly easy to abuse if a coach wants to.

Same with the continuous batting order, leadoff hitter will bat a minimum of twice in a game the end of the order might only bat once depending on how the game goes and roster size.

No rules about positions, coach can put players were ever they want. No rules to abuse here, just bury your worst players somewhere on the field when you have to play them.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
I would avoid putting DD on a team where the head coach's DD cannot throw and has very poor swing mechanics yet is the leadoff hitter. Gladly the fall season is almost over and DD can explore other options for spring.

Jul 1, 2010
When our DDs were younger playing Rec ball we divided up the sports amongst the dads. I don't recall a bunch of daddy ball probably due to rules and our decidedly non-aggressive parents. One time I had a mom accuse me of playing my DD more than her DD. Funny thing was she was correct, I played both half the time that they were there. Problem was is that she didn't bring DD until second half of the game. The mom didn't realize that she was that late until I pointed it out......those early morning libations can really affect your judgment.

Since DD moved to TB I've been AC as needed and I've seen relative few examples of daddy ball. (seen more examples of paid pitching and hitting coaches favoring their students over others during their HC duties)

Most daddy ball teams were branded early by parent talk/gossip and the teams dissolved or became non-competitive. OTH, I've often felt a bit sorry for the coach's DD since most that I know get more instructions/corrections (usually in a very loud voice) than the rest of the girls.

Apr 1, 2010
The grass isn't always greener on the non-daddy ball side.

DD was on a team last year where neither coach had a daughter on the team. However, they had favorites and my DD wasn't one of them. :-(

This year she's on a team where the HC and the ACs have daughters on the team. However, I haven't seen their daughters given more playing time or better spots in the lineup. IMO, they're harder on their daughters than they are on the other girls.

From my experience, this team is focused on long term player development and is well run; it would be a mistake to simply dismiss them as a "daddy-ball" team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild