Daddy Ball Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Not sure I get this... Daddy Ball is Coaches that put there kid above others. Now thats what I call a Crazy Dad, not us guys who know our kids the best, and don't have to be a Coach to aid it. I want to change my title now that I find out that its the coaches that are the Crazy Dads. I thought that with the last video qunicy posted with the guy who hit the ump... I thought that was a coach.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Mostly these "daddies" and "mommies" never were very good athletes and they want their kid to some how fill that void. Wannabes and hangers on are the worst kind of menace, I can think of.

I know if a very good example. The coach's DD is the #1 pitcher, but can't get through the first inning, without loading the bases on walks. I have 2 pitchers on the team and they walked no one last weekend, in 2 games. But, who is the starter? Wannabe's kid. The girls are 12U. They know what is going on.

Jan 24, 2011
I have seen daddy ball in all sports. I know it exists , but what most fail to understand is that without these parents there wouldnt be teams because nobody else wants to spend the time it takes to step up and coach a team. Most of them just want to sit back and complain about the coach. The "daddyball" excuse just becomes their convenient way to do it. In my area , there isnt one single team 8u-14u (probably around 60 teams) that has a coach without a kid on the team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Daddy Ball is Coaches that put there kid above others.

Nope...Daddy Ball is the inevitable result of having a Daddy coach his DD.

In one situation, the Daddy favors his DD above the other kids.

In the other situation, Daddy develops a set of rules relating to when all the kids play so that everyone is treated the same. E.g., "My DD is one of three pitchers. Therefore, she will pitch 1/3 of all the innings." In that situation, it doesn't matter how well or how poorly his DD or any of the kids pitch. Everyone gets 1/3 of the innings. All three pitchers are treated "the same", but they are not treated fairly.

The DD and the rest of team are not given an opportunity to compete for playing time. So, no one learns how to beat out teammates for playing time.

The result of having a Daddy coach is almost that the growth of his DD as an athlete is hampered.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I have seen daddy ball in all sports. I know it exists , but what most fail to understand is that without these parents there wouldnt be teams because nobody else wants to spend the time it takes to step up and coach a team. Most of them just want to sit back and complain about the coach. The "daddyball" excuse just becomes their convenient way to do it. In my area , there isnt one single team 8u-14u (probably around 60 teams) that has a coach without a kid on the team.

I understand that but the dad cant put his DD ahead of anyone..he has to put the team ahead of her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I bent over backwards not to favor my kids. It may have been to their detriment, sometimes. But, if they weren't in the top 3 on the team, I didn't send them to All Stars. They never complained. Usually a kid knows if they are good or not.

You can coach, w/o the team becoming daddy ball.

Jan 24, 2011
I understand that but the dad cant put his DD ahead of anyone..he has to put the team ahead of her.

I never said he could. I am just saying that I hear the "daddyball" thing thrown around way too much. It is just a way for disgruntled parents to complain and recruit other to their side